Turkey flipping ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

north pole

Assistant Cook
I'm planning to cook a larger turkey by starting it out upside-down and then flipping it. I don't want to spear it, and due to the ice-storm here, I may not have a chance to get cooking string. So I was thinking about pre-rigging some handles from steel safety-wire.

Does anyone have a better method??

Is it really necessary to flip it? I'm afraid you might end up burned and/or drop the turkey. If you are determined, you certainly won't want to do it by yourself.

:huh:Barbara

I never flip. Butterballs used to come with a string cradle to lift the bird out of the roasting pan. Maybe you could fashion something like that.

Use a spatula and flip it like a flapjack.:ROFLMAO: If you really want to flip it I would use a couple of large forks. Stick each one in both sides and roll it towards or away from you lengthways.

thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I'm determined to start it breast down and then flip it. I may use the large forks, I just wanted to avoid poking holes in it.

Put on your oven mitts, put two ziploc bags over them, have someone hold down the roaster and you flip the bird. Works great and then you just toss the baggies.

Put on your oven mitts, put two ziploc bags over them, have someone hold down the roaster and you flip the bird. Works great and then you just toss the baggies.
Good idea. The first thing I thought of was the heat proof gloves that came with my rotisserie, but I didn't mention them since most people don't have them.

:)Barbara

I use two good strong wooden spoons, one in each cavity opening, to lift and flip the bird. Of couse mine isn't stuffed so it works a treat.

I use two good strong wooden spoons, one in each cavity opening, to lift and flip the bird. Of couse mine isn't stuffed so it works a treat.

not flipping but wanted to move from roaster to another pan so would fit in fridge. taking it to my granddaughters tomorrow. i put a grandma's fork in one end and a pasta metal server in the other end and moved it sideways to other pan. be careful. would hate to see you all singed.

Using a "V" wire rack in a roasting pan holds the turkey clear of the pan so that no flipping is necessary and all sides get equally baked. The modern adjustable wire roasting rack is an invention that's about 95 years old, and was invented to keep from having to flip the main course, no matter what was being baked. You just have to rest the roasting pan on the lower oven rack.

Last edited:
At Americas Test Kitchen they just use a bunch of wadded up paper towels. I would use Alix's idea minus the ziplock bags (too slippery). I would just use clean pot holders (the mitten type) and wash them well after.

What a lot of good ideas here. It is a dilemma for me every year. I think I'll go with Dave's or maybe Alix's...then again Rock has a creative idea...but the turkey I have is 20lbs. Well, I'll have some big strong men around so time to delegate.

I would just wrap it partly, the top in foil, grab couple of kitchen mittens and flip the thing, then just pull the foil out. I do not think it is a problem at all.
:chef:
But the question is why? How big is that turkey? And which side is up and which is down? Some people cook it breast up and some cook it breast down. Personally, unless it is some 50 pounds turkey I do not see the need of flipping it. But that's just me.;)

Charlie, I read where if you flip the turkey then the legs and thigh area will cook faster...which is usually an area of concern as it's the last to finish cooking.

Quote from William Sonoma:

"For an unstuffed turkey, some cooks roast the turkey breast side down for the first one-third of the cooking time. This increases the rate at which the thighs cook, so they will be done at about the same time as the breasts"

On the other hand, Alton Brown says to cook it at 500 degrees for the first 30 minutes breast side up (probably to get a crispy skin after brining). Then turn the oven down to 350 for the rest of the time. I don't plan to flip it at that point because it will be hot. But I will use the wooden spoons in the cavity technique for removing it from the pan.

Last edited:
We cook a fully stuffed turkey breast up. I would prefer to cook it 2/3 of the time with the breast down to increase the likelyhood of the stuffing flavor and juices migrating to the breast meat; however I've had problems with some of the breast skin sticking to the wire rack. Breast up, we have to tent the breast to prevent it from overbrowning, the drumsticks are practically falling off the bone cooked, the thighs could be more cooked, the wings are crisp, and the breast meat is somewhat dry.

When I flipped mine the wings fell off. :ROFLMAO::LOL:

That NEVER happened before. So I have a wingless bird now. Goood thing I'm the only one that likes the wings.

Back
Top Bottom