Turkey In A Roaster Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puptentacle

Assistant Cook
First of what will (probably) be many questions.

We just picked up a roaster oven the other day. Our plan is to do a turkey breast this year and we'd like to cook it in the roaster. Problem is, neither of us have ever used one. A couple of questions:

-The directions say that the liquids shouldn't be added until the last 30 minutes of cooking. Is that right? The recipe we are using calls for an herb rub with wine in the pan. Common sense states there will be juices in the pan all the way through cooking. Would it cause any problems adding the wine when we start cooking?

-Will the pan brown the bird or should we figure on putting it under the broiler for a few minutes at the end?

There might be more questions coming. Thanks in advance.

First of what will (probably) be many questions.

We just picked up a roaster oven the other day. Our plan is to do a turkey breast this year and we'd like to cook it in the roaster. Problem is, neither of us have ever used one. A couple of questions:

-The directions say that the liquids shouldn't be added until the last 30 minutes of cooking. Is that right? The recipe we are using calls for an herb rub with wine in the pan. Common sense states there will be juices in the pan all the way through cooking. Would it cause any problems adding the wine when we start cooking?

-Will the pan brown the bird or should we figure on putting it under the broiler for a few minutes at the end?

There might be more questions coming. Thanks in advance.

Hey Puptentacle!!

Check out this thread!:)
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/turkey-in-my-nesco-roaster-67766.html

I don't know about liquids during roasting, but I just happened to add some water once when I had about 1/2 hour left to go and kept doing it every time after because of the way it loosened the stuck on drippings and made it gravy ready.

I don't know about liquids during roasting, but I just happened to add some water once when I had about 1/2 hour left to go and kept doing it every time after because of the way it loosened the stuck on drippings and made it gravy ready.

This year try adding turkey or chicken broth instead.

No turkey for me this year. The apartments had planned a dinner for us Tuesday, but the Sheriff has a huge gathering on Thanksgiving day with bus transportation and all. I'm not going. I'm afraid of getting stuck there, plus I went to something like that before. Cold food, very loud music and hundreds of strangers. No Thanks!

I'll wait until after Christmas to try and pick up a cheap turkey to roast and split with a neighbor.

I'll definitely try adding stock instead of water this time. Actually, knowing me, that's probably what I actually did as the giblet stock would have been right there on the top of the stove at that time.

Back
Top Bottom