"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-24-2008, 07:13 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Just chop everything except the liver up very well and toss them into whatever stuffing recipe you normally use. Bake according to your recipe.

The liver is usually excluded because it's flavour is so overpowering. Instead, just roast that along side the turkey and eat it separately.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #12
Executive Chef

i plan to make my thanksgiving bread/giblet stuffing ahead of time. i would then like to use this "leftover" dressing to make stuffed pork chops the next day. is there a reason for not using already prepared stuffing for this? it has been like forever since i last made stuffed pork chops, but i always used regular raw prepared stuffing for it. is this idea going to work, or will my stuffing turn out too dry or overcooked?

Old 11-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sounds great. I was going to mention to you that you can make turkey broth/stock from the giblets, but I see you already figured it out. I can't see any reason it wouldn't work for stuffing the pork chops.

If possible, make enough of the giblet stock so you have enough to use some of the liquid for your gravy.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Y'all know how to cook the kidneys, right? You put them in a pot of water and boil the piss out of them!
Old 11-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Y'all know how to cook the kidneys, right? You put them in a pot of water and boil the piss out of them!
I love them off the chicken leg quarters after baking. I never noticed them on a turkey. I'll check on the turkey I have thawing.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Very funny play on words!!
Old 11-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooo87 View Post
How do you make stuffing from the parts of the turkey e.g. the giblets, heart, liver, kidney, neck etc...? I've looked all around and only found one recipe for Amish stuffing. Anyone know what I;m talking about.
My mother used to make an Irish bread stuffing used either stale bread or toast cubed. There was melted butter, chopped onion, celery and broth. This can be altered in many ways.
My wife prefers the one I make now. It is a rice stuffing. To start with, we get a fresh turkey, not a frozen one. The difference in taste is remarkable. The neck, giblets and a package of turkey necks and a package of turkey gizzards are boiled to make broth. Black olives, mushrooms[criminis or portabellas], diced celery and texas sweet onion and Thai jasmine rice[already steamed, not that uncle Ben' garbage]. After they are done tender, the giblets are sliced and diced. Everything is mixed in a bowl while still warm from cooking. Make sure to add some of the broth. The seasoning varies with our mood. Generally it goes like this, ground sea salt, ground black pepper, thyme, rosemary, basil, etc. If I am growing fresh herbs, I will use those. Fresh basil came real nice one year. Now stuff the bird and any extra can be baked in a casserole dish.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I have always boiled the innards along with the neck and used the stock for the gravy. The innards become dog food and the neck goes on my plate.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

use the cooked, chopped up giblets in the gravy and put oysters in the stuffing like Mom did.

Tags
stuffing, turkey parts