Turkey Thighs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alijk1989

Assistant Cook
Hi I am a fairly inexpereinced cook and usually only use Chicken or Pork when cooking. However I have bought some Turkey Thighs to use in a stir fry and I am just wondering if it is safe to shallow fry or stir fry them?

If not what should I do with them bearing in mind that speed is an issue in this case?

Thanks in Advance

Hi, and welcome to DC :)

There's no reason you can't use turkey thighs in a stir-fry, or cooked in any number of ways. Just make sure the meat is cooked through. The most accurate way to do that is to get an instant-read thermometer.

For stir-fry, cut the meat into bite-size pieces about the same size as the other ingredients in your dish (I go for about 1"x1" squares or cubes). Stir-fry the meat, remove it to a plate, stir-fry the veggies, add sauce ingredients, stir till thickened, then add the meat back and heat through. This should cook it sufficiently.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I was hoping this would be the case, the stuff I got was diced anyway so I'll just make sure it is all in small enough chunks.

Should it take much longer than say frying diced chicken breast?

Are you talking about the boneless skinless version or the regular bone-in thighs?

If you have the bone-in thighs, there will be nothing 'quick' about cooking them. They need low and slow cooking.

Boneless and skinless might work, but dark meat will cook slower than white meat. I have no direct experience with boneless turkey thighs however.

McNerd - the OP said the meat was off-the-bone & already diced up.

Ali - I cook with all sorts of different turkey products several times a week. It make take a "little" longer than diced chicken to cook - but not by much. I frequently use strips or dice of dark-meat turkey in stirfry dishes. While you're stirfrying, just pause for a second & cut one of the turkey pieces in half to see whether it's still pink or not. No pink? Done!! Enjoy!! Turkey parts are one of our favorite & most-used products here at Casa Breezy - lol!!

Thanks again for your replies. I will make sure to cook it through so I don't poison any of my flat-mates :wacko: .

Back
Top Bottom