"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-18-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to petey

Does anyone know how to add turmeric to their daily dishes or if its only used in specific dishes? I reacently read that turmeric is known to lower bad cholesterol and i'd like to start using it daily if possible.

Any ideas?

petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:51 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Painting with a broad brush here....but I suppose one could add it to most anything...It will change the color of what you put it in...Tumeric is what gives prepared mustard the yellow color...Many.. but not all curry powders have tumeric in it...Maybe others can be more recipe specific..

Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:04 AM   #3
Executive Chef
turmeric has a very mild dry flavor and is often undetectible. the color is very yellow. One can add it to stews, rice dishes, caseroles, salad dressings, spice rubs, and on it goes.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:21 AM   #4
Sous Chef
It is a sort of "miracle" spice to read about it. I imagine that health food stores carry it in tablets. But add it as you want. Another cholesterol lowering spice is cinnamon--easy to add to lots of things too.
Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:01 AM   #5
Executive Chef
Turmeric fresh and ground is used primarily in Asian cooking mostly in curries as well as to flavour rice. You might want to do a search in this forum for available recipes.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating!
boufa06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
Senior Cook
You can use turmeric powder in almost anything so long as you don't mind the yellow colour. It has excellent antiseptic properties. As a kid whenever I got cuts mom would dab a bit of this. It stopped the bleeding and has healing properties too. We put it in a lot of our traditional dishes.

You must buy some fresh turmeric, sqeeze on some lemon/lime and eat them, it doesnt taste that good but since wellbeing is what you're looking at, taste takes a backseat. The lighter yellow shade of turmeric is milder though.
The Purple Foodie
Shaheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:25 AM   #7
Head Chef
I take an herbal supplement called Curcumin, it is 95% tumeric. You can't possibly eat enough tumeric to reach your daily requirement. I get a little psoriasis in the winter and I take curcumin to help my skin.
Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:00 AM   #8
Sous Chef
I see there is a lentil thread here today - I was looking for a lentil soup recipe the other day and found one that included adding turmeric to give the soup a smokey flavour. I didn't have any, so went out and bought some to try next time. I hope I am not confusing this with cumin!
Sandyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:56 PM   #9
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
It's really good with cauliflour. I add a little to the water I boiled the the veggies in and toss back in.
vyapti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #10
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
it can also be used quite effectively in Sweet dishes too, and not just main course savory :)

infact the smell of ground turmeric smells almost Chocolate(ish) to me anyway.

So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote