"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #11
Senior Cook

You know what?

I do, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Most ovens are noticeably hotter in the back.

I turn pretty much everything I cook.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #12
Senior Cook

very good info

I will keep that in mind, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The back of my oven runs hotter than the front also. So I also turn my dishes halfway through cooking or baking. Every oven has a vent somewhere so the hot air can escape. Mine is in the back burner on the right. I learned to keep the tea kettle off that burner so when the oven is on, the escaping heat has a way to exit. I have two racks. I very seldom move them. One in the middle and the second on the lowest for pies. I also try to keep my foods near the front so that I am avoiding those hot spots in the back.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Well, I guess I'd better be more careful, but I haven't baked two cakes at the same time for an awfully long time, and it would have been with a different stove in a different apartment.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Does the back of your oven run hotter than the front? OR Does the front run cooler because the door leaks heat or you open the door and let heat out?
Old 05-15-2014, 04:38 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Oh, my goodness!

Andy...don't do this to me! Now I have to make a decision as to WHICH it is! later....busy for my Elvis Movie Night, but not too busy to say thanks again for all of your advice and help (and question...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Does the back of your oven run hotter than the front? OR Does the front run cooler because the door leaks heat or you open the door and let heat out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roustabout ad poster I made.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	21311  
Old 05-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovin View Post
Andy...don't do this to me! Now I have to make a decision as to WHICH it is! later....busy for my Elvis Movie Night, but not too busy to say thanks again for all of your advice and help (and question...)

Jovin, the reason for the temperature difference is not important. Just the fact that there is one. If turning the cakes part way through the baking time gives you better cakes, turn them.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #17
Master Chef

I think rotating cakes and cookies at half time is a good idea, but I never bother doing it.

My Grandmother used to caution us against opening the oven door or jumping around when a cake is in the oven. I think that was true before the days of double acting baking powder and is still true for cakes that rely on large quantities of whipped egg whites for volume.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Okay you have a basic problem. (1) your oven has an uneven distribution, and (2) IMO it's not good to open the oven during baking because you could cause your recipe to partially collapse or otherwise become misshapen due to the disturbance.

With muffins I doubt the misshaping would be a problem, with cakes, particularly larger ones, it could be a problem. With muffins I'd do it. With cakes I'd try it once and see if the result is better or worse than without turning.

The ultimate solution is to get a convection oven. I had no idea how good convection ovens were until I recently bought one. Get the convection oven and you'll never again worry about uneven baking.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, if you are a renter in Massachusetts, the landlord is required by law to provide the apartment with a safe stove. I doubt very strongly it would have a convection oven, and just as unlikely even be a self cleaning stove. So for those who live here and are renters, we are stuck with what we have.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:45 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Me, too, Addie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Well, if you are a renter in Massachusetts, the landlord is required by law to provide the apartment with a safe stove. I doubt very strongly it would have a convection oven, and just as unlikely even be a self cleaning stove. So for those who live here and are renters, we are stuck with what we have.
I'm in a geared-to-income apartment and I'm just lucky to have what I have.

Tags
cake