Turning cake half time, comments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since this has resurfaced again I can add that in recent years the only time I had to worry about turning the cake pans was when we were baking my niece's wedding cake in her mother's oven. I usually don't have that problem at my house since we got the Wolf stove. It's been a work horse and has never failed me in nearly 30 years. It came with us from the old house and went into it's own spot in the new house. I'm sure it will still be producing great food after I'm long gone.

FWIW, according to Alton Brown, the walking/jumping/door slamming thing is a myth - even for souffles. I tend to believe him.

FWIW, according to Alton Brown, the walking/jumping/door slamming thing is a myth - even for souffles. I tend to believe him.
It may very well be a myth, certainly with modern gas cookers. but I was taught not to do it so I don't.

When I was first learning to cook at my mother's knee in the early 1950s we had an old gas cooker (c 1946) which, in my mother's words, "back fired" if you banged the door. IIRC it got air in the jets which impeded the gas flame. Possibly the door slamming thing arose from this. In those days we used coal gas not "natural gas" and that may have been an issue

Since this has resurfaced again I can add that in recent years the only time I had to worry about turning the cake pans was when we were baking my niece's wedding cake in her mother's oven. I usually don't have that problem at my house since we got the Wolf stove. It's been a work horse and has never failed me in nearly 30 years. It came with us from the old house and went into it's own spot in the new house. I'm sure it will still be producing great food after I'm long gone.

It's funny, I've been thinking the same thing, taking my Wolf with me. Last year I bought this house figuring I'd live here the rest of my life, but California is so crazy and now that I own property in Phoenix I've been wondering if one day I may decide to move my main residence--and take my Wolf with me. I've got the electric convection oven and gas cooktop and the two together cost over $6K. It would be tempting to replace them with inexpensive consumer appliances and take them along for the move. :)

I never had a clue how much better convection was.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom