"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Turning cake half time, comments?

I wonder if this is not a good thing. I've been turning my muffins and cakes around about half way through their time. It seems my oven is always baking darker at the back, and even though I just had a new thermostat put in it, it still seems to be the case.

I'm now baking a "Crazy Cake" in a 13 x 9 in glass pan and lowered the temp 25 degrees and it's baking basically on the lowest rack in my oven. Am I doing this the best way? I want it to turn out as best as it can, but I'm still thinking I'll turn it around half way? What's that old saying about if you open the over door during baking time the cake will fall?

Thanks,
Jovin

Old 04-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
Head Chef

Baked goods, such as cakes, cookies, muffins, etc. should be on the middle oven rack, preferably the lower middle, unless otherwise indicated, but NOT the lowest rack. (The lowest rack can be used for pie crusts).
For cakes, etc., you can turn the pan about 2/3 through the baking time, although I rarely do so if it's only one pan on one rack, unless the recipe specifically indicates it. If you're baking on two racks, then it's good to rotate the pans.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Are your heating elements clean. I've had spillovers, so go ahead and ask me how I know. (Check them when the oven is cool).

I learned that no peeking while the cake is in the oven. Also, you kids stop jumping around or the cake may fall.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I don't think the thermostat control will insure an even temperature throughout the oven chamber if that particular oven has that characteristic. If I know the oven I'm working with does not have an even temperature front and back (one end browns faster), I turn the baking pan 1/2-2/3 of way through the baking time.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
I don't think the thermostat control will insure an even temperature throughout the oven chamber if that particular oven has that characteristic. If I know the oven I'm working with does not have an even temperature front and back (one end browns faster), I turn the baking pan 1/2-2/3 of way through the baking time.
The oven I have right now bakes faster on the sides than it does in the middle, so I have to be very careful of pan placement. If I use the convection feature it's better, but not perfect. I do not recommend a GE Profile for that reason.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
Master Chef

Most ovens are noticeably hotter in the back.

I turn pretty much everything I cook.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

The back of my oven runs hotter than the front also. So I also turn my dishes halfway through cooking or baking. Every oven has a vent somewhere so the hot air can escape. Mine is in the back burner on the right. I learned to keep the tea kettle off that burner so when the oven is on, the escaping heat has a way to exit. I have two racks. I very seldom move them. One in the middle and the second on the lowest for pies. I also try to keep my foods near the front so that I am avoiding those hot spots in the back.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovin View Post
I wonder if this is not a good thing. I've been turning my muffins and cakes around about half way through their time. It seems my oven is always baking darker at the back, and even though I just had a new thermostat put in it, it still seems to be the case.

I'm now baking a "Crazy Cake" in a 13 x 9 in glass pan and lowered the temp 25 degrees and it's baking basically on the lowest rack in my oven. Am I doing this the best way? I want it to turn out as best as it can, but I'm still thinking I'll turn it around half way? What's that old saying about if you open the over door during baking time the cake will fall?

Thanks,
Jovin
I don't rotate my cakes in the oven but if I had your problem I would.

If I'm baking two cakes on two shelves I will change them round half way through the cooking time if I'm not using the fan oven.

Your last sentence is true up to a point but once the cake had set and if you are quick you can open the door and change two cakes round. Don't bang the oven door when you close it or it will fall. (This may be just folk legend but my mother taught me and her mother taught her so I'm inclined to follow custom just in case.)
Old 04-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
I've never had the problem with front and back temperature variations but in a standard oven (ie not a fan assisted oven) the centre shelf should be the temperature that you set on the thermostat and usually the top of the oven is hotter and the lower part cooler. Heat rises.

In theory if the oven is fan assisted the temp should be the same all through the oven regardless. It should be!
Old 05-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Hi, Whiskadoodle...

I know! I was always thinking that, too that if you open the oven during baking time that the cake will fall. Hey, it must depend on the cake, because I really overdo this..I'm always checking and can't make a decision as to whether it looks done or should I leave it. I guess I'm lucky that I haven't had any disasters yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Are your heating elements clean. I've had spillovers, so go ahead and ask me how I know. (Check them when the oven is cool).

I learned that no peeking while the cake is in the oven. Also, you kids stop jumping around or the cake may fall.

Tags
cake