Turning cake half time, comments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jovin

Senior Cook
I wonder if this is not a good thing. I've been turning my muffins and cakes around about half way through their time. It seems my oven is always baking darker at the back, and even though I just had a new thermostat put in it, it still seems to be the case.

I'm now baking a "Crazy Cake" in a 13 x 9 in glass pan and lowered the temp 25 degrees and it's baking basically on the lowest rack in my oven. Am I doing this the best way? I want it to turn out as best as it can, but I'm still thinking I'll turn it around half way? What's that old saying about if you open the over door during baking time the cake will fall?

Thanks,
Jovin

Baked goods, such as cakes, cookies, muffins, etc. should be on the middle oven rack, preferably the lower middle, unless otherwise indicated, but NOT the lowest rack. (The lowest rack can be used for pie crusts).
For cakes, etc., you can turn the pan about 2/3 through the baking time, although I rarely do so if it's only one pan on one rack, unless the recipe specifically indicates it. If you're baking on two racks, then it's good to rotate the pans.

Last edited:
Are your heating elements clean. I've had spillovers, so go ahead and ask me how I know. (Check them when the oven is cool).

I learned that no peeking while the cake is in the oven. Also, you kids stop jumping around or the cake may fall.

Last edited:
I don't think the thermostat control will insure an even temperature throughout the oven chamber if that particular oven has that characteristic. If I know the oven I'm working with does not have an even temperature front and back (one end browns faster), I turn the baking pan 1/2-2/3 of way through the baking time.

I don't think the thermostat control will insure an even temperature throughout the oven chamber if that particular oven has that characteristic. If I know the oven I'm working with does not have an even temperature front and back (one end browns faster), I turn the baking pan 1/2-2/3 of way through the baking time.

The oven I have right now bakes faster on the sides than it does in the middle, so I have to be very careful of pan placement. If I use the convection feature it's better, but not perfect. I do not recommend a GE Profile for that reason.

The back of my oven runs hotter than the front also. So I also turn my dishes halfway through cooking or baking. Every oven has a vent somewhere so the hot air can escape. Mine is in the back burner on the right. I learned to keep the tea kettle off that burner so when the oven is on, the escaping heat has a way to exit. I have two racks. I very seldom move them. One in the middle and the second on the lowest for pies. I also try to keep my foods near the front so that I am avoiding those hot spots in the back. :angel:

I wonder if this is not a good thing. I've been turning my muffins and cakes around about half way through their time. It seems my oven is always baking darker at the back, and even though I just had a new thermostat put in it, it still seems to be the case.

I'm now baking a "Crazy Cake" in a 13 x 9 in glass pan and lowered the temp 25 degrees and it's baking basically on the lowest rack in my oven. Am I doing this the best way? I want it to turn out as best as it can, but I'm still thinking I'll turn it around half way? What's that old saying about if you open the over door during baking time the cake will fall?

Thanks,
Jovin
I don't rotate my cakes in the oven but if I had your problem I would.

If I'm baking two cakes on two shelves I will change them round half way through the cooking time if I'm not using the fan oven.

Your last sentence is true up to a point but once the cake had set and if you are quick you can open the door and change two cakes round. Don't bang the oven door when you close it or it will fall. (This may be just folk legend but my mother taught me and her mother taught her so I'm inclined to follow custom just in case.)

Last edited:
I've never had the problem with front and back temperature variations but in a standard oven (ie not a fan assisted oven) the centre shelf should be the temperature that you set on the thermostat and usually the top of the oven is hotter and the lower part cooler. Heat rises.

In theory if the oven is fan assisted the temp should be the same all through the oven regardless. It should be:glare:!

Hi, Whiskadoodle...

I know! I was always thinking that, too that if you open the oven during baking time that the cake will fall. Hey, it must depend on the cake, because I really overdo this..I'm always checking and can't make a decision as to whether it looks done or should I leave it. I guess I'm lucky that I haven't had any disasters yet. :yum:

Are your heating elements clean. I've had spillovers, so go ahead and ask me how I know. (Check them when the oven is cool).

I learned that no peeking while the cake is in the oven. Also, you kids stop jumping around or the cake may fall.

very good info

I will keep that in mind, too.

The back of my oven runs hotter than the front also. So I also turn my dishes halfway through cooking or baking. Every oven has a vent somewhere so the hot air can escape. Mine is in the back burner on the right. I learned to keep the tea kettle off that burner so when the oven is on, the escaping heat has a way to exit. I have two racks. I very seldom move them. One in the middle and the second on the lowest for pies. I also try to keep my foods near the front so that I am avoiding those hot spots in the back. :angel:

Well, I guess I'd better be more careful, but I haven't baked two cakes at the same time for an awfully long time, and it would have been with a different stove in a different apartment.

Does the back of your oven run hotter than the front? OR Does the front run cooler because the door leaks heat or you open the door and let heat out?

Oh, my goodness!

Andy...don't do this to me! Now I have to make a decision as to WHICH it is! :rolleyes: later....busy for my Elvis Movie Night, but not too busy to say thanks again for all of your advice and help (and question...)

Does the back of your oven run hotter than the front? OR Does the front run cooler because the door leaks heat or you open the door and let heat out?

Attachments

• Roustabout ad poster I made.jpg
    Roustabout ad poster I made.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 230
Andy...don't do this to me! Now I have to make a decision as to WHICH it is! :rolleyes: later....busy for my Elvis Movie Night, but not too busy to say thanks again for all of your advice and help (and question...)

Jovin, the reason for the temperature difference is not important. Just the fact that there is one. If turning the cakes part way through the baking time gives you better cakes, turn them.

I think rotating cakes and cookies at half time is a good idea, but I never bother doing it.

My Grandmother used to caution us against opening the oven door or jumping around when a cake is in the oven. I think that was true before the days of double acting baking powder and is still true for cakes that rely on large quantities of whipped egg whites for volume.

Okay you have a basic problem. (1) your oven has an uneven distribution, and (2) IMO it's not good to open the oven during baking because you could cause your recipe to partially collapse or otherwise become misshapen due to the disturbance.

With muffins I doubt the misshaping would be a problem, with cakes, particularly larger ones, it could be a problem. With muffins I'd do it. With cakes I'd try it once and see if the result is better or worse than without turning.

The ultimate solution is to get a convection oven. I had no idea how good convection ovens were until I recently bought one. Get the convection oven and you'll never again worry about uneven baking.

Well, if you are a renter in Massachusetts, the landlord is required by law to provide the apartment with a safe stove. I doubt very strongly it would have a convection oven, and just as unlikely even be a self cleaning stove. So for those who live here and are renters, we are stuck with what we have. :angel:

Me, too, Addie.

Well, if you are a renter in Massachusetts, the landlord is required by law to provide the apartment with a safe stove. I doubt very strongly it would have a convection oven, and just as unlikely even be a self cleaning stove. So for those who live here and are renters, we are stuck with what we have. :angel:

I'm in a geared-to-income apartment and I'm just lucky to have what I have.

Back
Top Bottom