"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2018, 12:08 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Roll Bones wrote:
Quote:
Think about what the pile of grocery bags looks like in your car trunk or back seat. That is what my freezer looks like.
I know what chicken looks like, but if I have fifteen bags the exact same color and they are closed, I would love to see how one could know what each bag held. If I had ex-ray vision, I would not have this issue.
Curious as to what kind of bags they are, that you can’t see what’s in ‘em. And an indelible marker goes a long way to helping determine the contents of any container. Also helps to remind you when it was frozen. Label everything with at least the name of the food and the date it went into the freezer.

This is very definitely a “Do as I say, not as I do” moment, lol.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Hmm, these were paper grocery bags. We also used boxes without tops. It gave the inside of the freezer a little structure. (I still use some small boxes in my upright freezer for smaller items.)
Structure! Exactly the words I needed to hear. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Roll Bones wrote:

Curious as to what kind of bags they are, that you can’t see what’s in ‘em. And an indelible marker goes a long way to helping determine the contents of any container. Also helps to remind you when it was frozen. Label everything with at least the name of the food and the date it went into the freezer.

This is very definitely a “Do as I say, not as I do” moment, lol.
They are the plastic bags that your bring home groceries in.
They are not clear at all and they tend to break open for some reason in a freezer.
Writing on a grocery bag might help some, but I'm certain I would still have to dig, open and then put all the bags back in.
I label every vacuum packed item. These items then go into a grocery bag. I really don't need to mark each vacuum bag as I can tell what it is anyway. But I do it.

The plastic bin idea has been our best suggestion/solution. I'm going to look for something that will work.
Thanks Everyone......John

Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:31 PM   #13
Executive Chef

When you find plastic bins, roll bones, choose those with square corners and you'll have less wasted space.

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote