"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-23-2016, 10:26 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I don't as of yet, but I'd like to get one, too. Powerplantop has a video on YouTube somewhere where he discusses a unit that he really likes, and I was looking at the same one. I'll have to see if I can dig it up.
I have a first generation Anova that I like and I have a Sous Vide Supreme. Both are good choices but I do like that the Anova is smaller and easier to store.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:56 PM   #12
Master Chef

Here's yet another way with the chimney method, and no sous vide.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...grilled-steaks

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:50 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Noob question but the sous vide thing, is it like boiling stuff or am I missing something?
Old 07-31-2016, 09:17 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

To boil, you heat liquid to 212 degrees. With sous vide, you only heat the liquid to the final temperature you want and then sear the outside to get a crispy crust. For steak, that might be 135 or so.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:52 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
To boil, you heat liquid to 212 degrees. With sous vide, you only heat the liquid to the final temperature you want and then sear the outside to get a crispy crust. For steak, that might be 135 or so.
One thing to add - Don't you heat it in a vacuum sealed pouch to avoid incubating any bacteria that might be present?
Old 07-31-2016, 12:07 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
One thing to add - Don't you heat it in a vacuum sealed pouch to avoid incubating any bacteria that might be present?
I don't know. I don't have a sous vide machine; I just know in general how it works.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:45 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine View Post
Noob question but the sous vide thing, is it like boiling stuff or am I missing something?
The only stupid questions are the ones you fail to ask. Sous Vide (literally "under vacuum," which isn't helpful because it refers only to the vacuum-packaging part) is a technique where you keep food at a very specific temperature for sometimes days. It allows you to do otherwise-impossible things like make a steak that is cooked medium-rare throughout, then seared (with a blowtorch) just before serving.

It started as a high-end thing, with circulators costing ~$1000, but now they're under $200 and just beg to be played with. I cooked a halibut curry for three days straight at 132F, and the halibut was perfect.

Thomas Keller (of French Laundry fame) has written an enormous coffee-table book on the topic, that he stupidly named "Under Pressure" to further confuse things. Don't get that one. Instead, I recommend this unassuming little volume:

(Full disclosure: he sent me a copy in return for an honest review.) Once you get the hang of things, you can use Logsdon's extensive tables to design your own recipes. Do you like runny eggs but worry about salmonella? Pasteurize them yourself. Mayonnaise? Hollandaise? Measure the ingredients into a bag and go watch a movie. Some complain that it's too ... scientific and takes the art out of cooking, but they said that about gas stoves, too.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:51 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

I finally got around to watching this video. Thank, Steve. It was very informative.

I have a thick ribeye I am planning for this weekend. I did the last one in a slow oven then seared on the gas grill. I think this weekend I'll use the chimney method to finish it.

Overall, the sears-all seams to be a waste of time. Both for the fact that the results were the least desirable and that it takes so long. Especially of you're doing more than one steak. The hot gas grill appears to be the best second option.

I still would like to try sous vide but can't justify the cost. Plus, I suck at planning ahead. I would not do well starting today's dinner yesterday. or even this morning.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:43 PM   #19
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I still would like to try sous vide but can't justify the cost.
Andy, this is kind of where I'm at, too.

I'm very much an "old school" cook. I don't own many gadgets. It was 25 years after food processors came along that I finally broke down and bought one. I've also never owned a bread maker, deep fryer, panini press, toaster oven, electric corkscrew, or rice cooker. I don't have anything against them. I just have a feeling they would end up sitting unused.

That said, the sous vide thing does sound interesting. And I am thinking about getting one at some point but, like you, will probably wait until they come down further in price. I like to entertain, and it seems like this would be a great way to hold food at a specific temperature, so you wouldn't have to be fussing with it rather than spending time with guests.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:32 AM   #20
Executive Chef

It would be interesting to know what kind of thermostat controller these things use. I can see using a "homemade" version with a hot plate with a pot or deep fryer, immersion blender and thermostat controller. If they use a non-proportional stat controller, it would be very inexpensive to do, provided you already have the other components on hand. Heck you might be able to get away with just a deep fryer, candy thermometer and immersion blender!

Tags
meat