"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-05-2016, 09:16 AM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
It would be interesting to know what kind of thermostat controller these things use. I can see using a "homemade" version with a hot plate with a pot or deep fryer, immersion blender and thermostat controller. If they use a non-proportional stat controller, it would be very inexpensive to do, provided you already have the other components on hand. Heck you might be able to get away with just a deep fryer, candy thermometer and immersion blender!
There are lots of DIY sous vide units out there.

Or, you can get something like this to run with your crock pot, hot plate, or whatever:
https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Itc-3...ure+controller

Old 08-05-2016, 10:56 AM   #22
Executive Chef

The problem, which I stated, is what type of thermostat controller is being used in the manufactured units. If it is a non-proportional, then the unit you linked to would probably work. If it is a proportional stat, then that unit might not be suitable. There is a difference between these two types of stats.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:24 AM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
The problem, which I stated, is what type of thermostat controller is being used in the manufactured units. If it is a non-proportional, then the unit you linked to would probably work. If it is a proportional stat, then that unit might not be suitable. There is a difference between these two types of stats.
Well, I'm not into electronics but it seems like a bunch of people are using this device for sous vide, at least according to the Amazon reviews I've read on this particular unit.
I believe this unit turns off the heating unit when set temp is reached vs reducing voltage to the heating unit, if that's what you're referring to.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #24
Executive Chef

The title of this thread reminds me of "The Big Bang Theory". I am a very "sad" person
Old 08-05-2016, 12:20 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Well, I'm not into electronics but it seems like a bunch of people are using this device for sous vide, at least according to the Amazon reviews I've read on this particular unit.
I believe this unit turns off the heating unit when set temp is reached vs reducing voltage to the heating unit, if that's what you're referring to.
Yup, an on/off switch with a delay vs a rheostat.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:52 AM   #26
Assistant Cook

Video is very informative. That steak looks good too. Maybe I'll have fun with meat soon as well.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:27 AM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Yup, an on/off switch with a delay vs a rheostat.
Myself, I would think and opamp to bias a power transistor, with a thermistor to control the biasing voltage. Use the rheostat to set the desired temperature. Use the op-amp as the heart of a comparitor circuit. This - https://www.google.com/search?q=oper...KsIXDX-rPvM%3A - with the output of the thermistor as the input, and the adjustable resistor as Rw, or the refererence. You would half to measure the oil temp as you adjust the resistor so as to calibrate to temperatures per dial position. But it's a simple circuit that could be built on a breadboard, or circuit board. As for the water-circulator, that could be handled by a water pump as used with a fish tank.

Just an idea.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:48 AM   #28
Assistant Cook

nice video!!

Tags
meat