"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-25-2005, 07:01 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
No ITK - you did NOT pay for them - they came free of charge

(sorry)

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:05 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Bugs

Oh, I didn't pay for them; they were added bonus. As Michael W said 'added protein'. Are they protein? Maybe we are supposed to use them. As you stated about bay leaf I do notice difference when I use it has a certain odor to it. Someone who answered my email yesterday said to put piece of spearmint gum in the flour. I never chew the stuff, guess I have to buy some and offer the gum to someone who chews? What brand do you think will work? Surely not the sugar free ones? Learn something here. Have to invest in another fridge so I can put flour in there. I just don't have room for it. I am afraid the glass would break if I put in freezer. How do you keep the little black things from getting into the cabinets with all the mixes and pastry I have there? I had to throw two containers full of stuff that they got into. Isn't there something to use there too? Since the weather getting warm, they must all smell the stuff and invade. These are tiny black bugs the ones in the flour look brown. Then the guy at the store tells me to use plastic bags because the brown paper bags have bugs in them? I must be doing everything wrong? I always think brown bags are better and hold more. Thanks for all your time. I am anxious to see if the gum thing works.

Old 05-26-2005, 09:16 AM   #13
Executive Chef

They can also get into the bags at the grocery store; I actually saw a bunch crawling around the cornmeal one day - needless to say I didn't buy my cornmeal there!
Old 05-26-2005, 10:16 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
They can also get into the bags at the grocery store; I actually saw a bunch crawling around the cornmeal one day - needless to say I didn't buy my cornmeal there!
This just gives me the creeps. To actually see them BEFORE you buy! I just don't know why they don't make bigger refrigerators! I try to go to the grocery store only once week, if I am lucky! I cannot get all the things I want in the refrigerator until middle of week because of no room. It is the largest refrigerator that they make. Seems like regular routine where you empty it as you fix the meals. Either have to get another refrigerator or go to the store at least twice week. There must be solution. I have to thoroughly clean the fridge at least every 3 months. Like being on treadmill. Only I don't sweat.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:42 AM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
Guess we ought to form some kind of club! What happens when you least expect it? You wind up with bugs! Were you up all night? Guess you didn't even think it was worth it to make it. I would rather buy everyone Twinkies than give someone something I know had bugs in it. Who knows what we eat when we go to restaurant? I have had my share of doubts many times. I really don't envy someone who depends on meals other than their own. I just can't figure how people always look forward to eating out. Beware if you give the waiter trouble. I do know what happens then. Guess I just don't trust enough. Anyway, you and I must know the feeling of seeing them crawling around in all that flour.
Yes, I was up all night & grabbed an hour nap while the 2nd cake was cooling. If I had not told them I'd make the cake, I wouldn't have done it. But if at all possible, I always keep my promises.

Michael, I really didn't need to hear that this morning!
Old 05-26-2005, 11:34 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Way to go crewsk. That is what we all should do. Integrity! Means a lot when you show others what you do. Good for you. Always count on you.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:20 PM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Thanks ITK! I was tired the next day but when I saw how pleased the mommy-to-be was it made it all worthwhile.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:12 PM   #18
DC Grandma

I hate to be the one to say this but all you have to do is sift the flour...Andy is right. All they need is heat and humidity to hatch out. When we lived back on the East Coast I kept EVERYTHING in the freezer.
PS- DH taught pest control when we were in Jacksonville Florida while in the Navy.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote