Unbleached Flour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Okay, now I found bugs in the flour. How scary especially when you are breading chicken and making eggplant together. I have bay leaves in there but must I put it in refrigerator to keep from having them get into the flour? I threw the whole jar out and have nw bag but how do I stop the bugs since the weather is getting warm? I have had this problem in past but now back again. Doesn't this ever stop? I use products with no perservatives and can't keep the bugs out.

Keeping it in the fridge or freezer would keep the bugs out for sure.

What kind of container do you keep it in? Is it in the original bag or do you put it in an airtight container when you get it home?

Bay leaves may keep bugs from crawling into your flour but will do nothing for the bugs that are in the flour when you buy it. Not a happy thought, I know, but bug eggs often infest flour at the mill. Happy cooking!

Bugs!

Well Andy, you made my day! You mean I paid for the bugs? Awful thought. I keep the flour in glass container with lid on it. I know no bugs could have crawled in there unless they were already there. I just could not believe how many there were. I hardly have room in the fridge now, could I put it in freezer? Could I use it without worrying about moisture? Is there not always something that person doesn't think about? My mother always told me about flies that were in the house because house didn't have screens. She couldn't eat her pie because the flies were always trying to get it before she did. Poor kid. I am grateful to have what I have when I think of what she went through. I know you all use flour am I only one who is bothered with bugs?

ITK, I have gotten flour & severel other dry goods at the store only to come home & find bugs in it. So, you are not the only one! I have gotten ito the habit of opening my flour, putting it into large zip-lock bags, putting it in the freezer as soon as I get home from the store. That way if there are any bugs in it I can take it back to the store & either get my $ back or exchange it for another bag. I haven't had any problems with moisture from keeping flour in the freezer.

crewsk

Thanks. I do feel so alone when I have something like this happen. Especially when you are in the middle of putting it on something. Thanks for hint I will try to see how it works. Guess is the price you got to pay to use something you hope will be better than regular. But to pay for bugs bothers me. I am writing the company because the store I go to seems like they figure I complain enough. I have to bring grapes back this morning due to them being so sour. I paid $2.99 for them and that was too high to just throw out. I just have to ignore their looks and comments. I know for fact they haven't got time to cook the things they tell me they eat. AS I said before I am grateful to be able to do what I can. Thanks crewsk for joining me in my pity party.

ITK, I know it's a pain! I learned my lesson with the bugs when I was making a cake. I had already put half the flour in the batter & was getting ready to put the rest of it in when I found bugs in it. I had to throw out all the batter, go buy more flour & start over again. I was not a happy person considering that it was already 9PM & the cake had to be ready for a small baby shower the next morning.

crewsk

Guess we ought to form some kind of club! What happens when you least expect it? You wind up with bugs! Were you up all night? Guess you didn't even think it was worth it to make it. I would rather buy everyone Twinkies than give someone something I know had bugs in it. Who knows what we eat when we go to restaurant? I have had my share of doubts many times. I really don't envy someone who depends on meals other than their own. I just can't figure how people always look forward to eating out. Beware if you give the waiter trouble. I do know what happens then. Guess I just don't trust enough. Anyway, you and I must know the feeling of seeing them crawling around in all that flour.

I'm guessing you're talking about little black bugs - weevils. The less a grain is messed with the greater the chance of finding them ... whole wheat is more likely than unbleached, which is more likely than bleached (all purpose, cake, Bisquick, etc.). Corn meal is more likely than masa harnia. Yep - they are prepackaged with flour - straight from the field, thru the mill, and into the bag. Putting bay leaves in the flour will do nothing except maybe make the flour taste a little funky.

Even if a mill sifts the flour to remove the weevils before packaging, it won't remove their eggs. With time and an above freezing temp they will hatch.

I would take the bag back to the store and swap it for a different brand. If you want to write the producer, look for any production numbers on the bag and write these down so that you can supply this to the mfg. For example - I have a bag of Gold Medal flour that has a "best by" date stamped on the top followed by "KC155112". The best by date and the code number will help them identify when and where it was processed/packaged - and possibly where the grain came from.

Of course - you could also just sift the flour before using it and toss the weevils out. Or, leave them in and just think of them as added protein. :rolleyes:

Bugs

Oh, I didn't pay for them; they were added bonus. As Michael W said 'added protein'. Are they protein? Maybe we are supposed to use them. As you stated about bay leaf I do notice difference when I use it has a certain odor to it. Someone who answered my email yesterday said to put piece of spearmint gum in the flour. I never chew the stuff, guess I have to buy some and offer the gum to someone who chews? What brand do you think will work? Surely not the sugar free ones? Learn something here. Have to invest in another fridge so I can put flour in there. I just don't have room for it. I am afraid the glass would break if I put in freezer. How do you keep the little black things from getting into the cabinets with all the mixes and pastry I have there? I had to throw two containers full of stuff that they got into. Isn't there something to use there too? Since the weather getting warm, they must all smell the stuff and invade. These are tiny black bugs the ones in the flour look brown. Then the guy at the store tells me to use plastic bags because the brown paper bags have bugs in them? I must be doing everything wrong? I always think brown bags are better and hold more. Thanks for all your time. I am anxious to see if the gum thing works.

They can also get into the bags at the grocery store; I actually saw a bunch crawling around the cornmeal one day - needless to say I didn't buy my cornmeal there!

marmalady said:
They can also get into the bags at the grocery store; I actually saw a bunch crawling around the cornmeal one day - needless to say I didn't buy my cornmeal there!

This just gives me the creeps. To actually see them BEFORE you buy! I just don't know why they don't make bigger refrigerators! I try to go to the grocery store only once week, if I am lucky! I cannot get all the things I want in the refrigerator until middle of week because of no room. It is the largest refrigerator that they make. Seems like regular routine where you empty it as you fix the meals. Either have to get another refrigerator or go to the store at least twice week. There must be solution. I have to thoroughly clean the fridge at least every 3 months. Like being on treadmill. Only I don't sweat.

In the Kitchen said:
Guess we ought to form some kind of club! What happens when you least expect it? You wind up with bugs! Were you up all night? Guess you didn't even think it was worth it to make it. I would rather buy everyone Twinkies than give someone something I know had bugs in it. Who knows what we eat when we go to restaurant? I have had my share of doubts many times. I really don't envy someone who depends on meals other than their own. I just can't figure how people always look forward to eating out. Beware if you give the waiter trouble. I do know what happens then. Guess I just don't trust enough. Anyway, you and I must know the feeling of seeing them crawling around in all that flour.

Yes, I was up all night & grabbed an hour nap while the 2nd cake was cooling. If I had not told them I'd make the cake, I wouldn't have done it. But if at all possible, I always keep my promises.

Michael, I really didn't need to hear that this morning!:-p

Way to go crewsk. That is what we all should do. Integrity! Means a lot when you show others what you do. Good for you. Always count on you.

I hate to be the one to say this but all you have to do is sift the flour...Andy is right. All they need is heat and humidity to hatch out. When we lived back on the East Coast I kept EVERYTHING in the freezer.
PS- DH taught pest control when we were in Jacksonville Florida while in the Navy.

Back
Top Bottom