"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 02-25-2016, 06:36 PM   #11
Master Chef
I haven't run the self clean on my new stove yet but it's due to be done.

With every other stove I've ever owned with self clean I always left the racks in and added the stove top grates too. I plan on doing the same with this one as the cast iron grates for the stove need to be thoroughly cleaned even more than the inside of the oven.

PS... just read the manual for my new stove, and it doesn't say I can't do it, so I will.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:46 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
O my Andy. If that pan was anything other than cast iron, you could probably see your reflection in it. I hope it re-seasons good as new again, er good as before.
I'm sure it will re-season fine. It's already been through the first turn in the oven with a thin coating of oil. Round two tomorrow.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:30 PM   #13
Head Chef
Oven cleaning sure does a nice job. To bad you didn't mean to re-season a well seasoned pan. Now the work begins. Don't do that again!
salt and pepper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:01 PM   #14
Master Chef
Sorry about the pan, Andy. I feel your pain and know how you feel. I did the same thing about 10 years ago. Never really reseasoned the pan. After accident at work have hard time lifting things.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:26 AM   #15
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
Darn, sorry about your CI.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:14 AM   #16
Head Chef
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I'm assuming you left the racks in the oven. What did they look like afterwards? The self cleaning ovens we've had recommend removing the racks before starting the cleaning cycle.
Yes, cooking racks tend to lose their pristine shinyness after going thru an oven cleaning cycle. It shouldn't be a huge letdown that your racks don't look new anymore. They still act and work the same. So what if they're discolored now.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef
I've done three seasonings so far and it's closer to looking 'normal' again.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:34 PM   #18
Head Chef
Andy, My Grandmother used to toss the cast iron in the fireplace every year around Christmas time to "Get the crud off and start the New Year right." Her words not mine.

I think she was following in her mothers footsteps.

While I haven't kept up the fireplace tradition I'm using those pans today and they are still going strong and as nonstick as any cast iron should be expected to be.

My oven's manual says the racks will discolor and to remove them for the clean cycle.
But I've got 3 racks and only use 2 at most so I decided to sacrifice one and have used if for the few times I wanted to strip down my cast iron. (New acquisitions or unhappy with the seasoning for some reason.)

Glad to hear your pan is getting back to normal.

You'll be happy again. But don't worry too much about cast iron. It can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

I don't follow the "rules" some swear by.

My pans see soap and water all the time. My Grandmother would have killed me if I didn't get the pans clean.

Acid foods like tomato sauce are cooked in them all the time and have been for decades.

IMHO all you need to do is keep them clean and dry. Maybe a touch of oil on them before storage. Cast iron only has one enemy. Rust.

Zagut is offline   Reply With Quote