Unit conversion question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luca Lazzari

Sous Chef
I found this nice link on DC about conversions for liquid conversions (metric, imperial and US cups).
Since I'm Italian, for my Italian recipes I use the metric system, spoons (tablespoon, teaspoon), cups, numbers (1 onion), something else (pinch, bunch). Now, I wonder what is the best way to express units in English for an international audience?
For example, for liquids whould I use UK or US units? And for "solids"? Would it be better to say "half and onion", "50 g onion", 1 cup onion"?
And for the flour, will I use liquid metrics (US cups) or something else?

Friends, I really need some help here, I'm writing a bunch of recipes for my hidden agenda :cool: and I'd like to write them right since the beginning.

Volume in liters should not be a problem if readers are reminded that 236 ml = 8 fluid ounces; likewise weight in kg should not be a problem if readers are reminded that 100 g = 3.5 ounces. People, who cannot handle that, need to start eating a lot more fish.

Luca,

I'd say use whatever you're comfortable with. Most Americans understand metric well enough to make the conversions (We are all taught the metric system in school at a young age. We just refuse to use it. :LOL:).

All of my measuring cups are labeled in both ml and American units, and I also own a kitchen scale that weighs in both grams and ounces. In addition, most packaged foods in stores have both units on the label.

I like the metric system myself. For winemaking, it's the only thing I use.

Steve

Volume in liters should not be a problem if readers are reminded that 236 ml = 8 fluid ounces; likewise weight in kg should not be a problem if readers are reminded that 100 g = 3.5 ounces. People, who cannot handle that, need to start eating a lot more fish.

:ROFLMAO: The problem is that they wouldn't know how much fish...

Luca,

I'd say use whatever you're comfortable with. Most Americans understand metric well enough to make the conversions (We are all taught the metric system in school at a young age. We just refuse to use it. :LOL:).

All of my measuring cups are labeled in both ml and American units, and I also own a kitchen scale that weighs in both grams and ounces. In addition, most packaged foods in stores have both units on the label.

I like the metric system myself. For winemaking, it's the only thing I use.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I'll take your advice and keep the metric system, for me it would be very annoying to make all the conversion. I mean, I CAN use Excel but I don't LIKE it :wacko:

I second Steve's advice. Use whatever measure you are familiar with. Too much concentration on stuff like that will give you a headache.

You're right Hoot, the important thing is to offer decent recipes!

Thanks friends :)

In my opinion, measurements should be given to reflect the most accurate way to measure an ingredient. I have no problem with recipes that call for a weight of this and a volume of that. For example: The amount of onion in 1 cup varies depending no the size and uniformity of the cut, so either mass or "half an onion" would be better.
Quantities like a "bunch" or "handful" really annoy me. They have no place in a recipe IMO.

As for flour, it depends on whether it's for cooking or baking. For baking, flour should NEVER be given in volume, and only given in weight. I invariably skip baking recipes that call for volumetric measurements of ingredients. For cooking, it should be volume.

Last edited:
I second Hoot seconding Steve.. :)

I think it is fine to give baking flour in volumes. The problem is most people don't know how to properly measure flour and end up with way too much, which can be an issue with baking. I prefer to use weight (in grams) but I also look at recipes with cups and convert (in my head no less).

... The amount of onion in 1 cup varies depending no the size and uniformity of the cut, so either mass or "half an onion" would be better.
Quantities like a "bunch" or "handful" really annoy me. They have no place in a recipe IMO...

The recipe should indicate the size of the cut, chop, dice, mince. Otherwise, the most accurate would be weight. Half an onion? How big of an onion?

I agree on 'bunch' and 'handful'. Also a 'small can'.

I think it is fine to give baking flour in volumes. The problem is most people don't know how to properly measure flour and end up with way too much, which can be an issue with baking. I prefer to use weight (in grams) but I also look at recipes with cups and convert (in my head no less).

On the same note, if a person is giving a recipe in volume, then how reputable are they for a baking recipe in the first place?

Baking = formulas. Not recipes.
I guess I should note that I come from a family of bakers. The company was bought out by Flours Foods a few years back, but all my baking formulas come from family members and are given in weights and hydration percentage. So there's that...

The recipe should indicate the size of the cut, chop, dice, mince. Otherwise, the most accurate would be weight. Half an onion? How big of an onion?

I thought about that when I posted, but I'd rather it tell me to dice half a medium onion than a cup of diced onion. Assuming perfect knife skills and someone that actually wants to dirty up a measuring cup just for onion, then it's fine. But it's a lot easier to just cut up half an onion and be done with it. The best measurement would be weight, followed by fraction of a size, followed by volume--In my opinion.

On the same note, if a person is giving a recipe in volume, then how reputable are they for a baking recipe in the first place?

I guess I should note that I come from a family of bakers. The company was bought out by Flours Foods a few years back, but all my baking formulas come from family members and are given in weights and hydration percentage. So there's that...
Sounds like Flowers Foods.

Hello Luca, as I live in England I find recipes giving cups as a measure rather than weight perplexing. I keep meaning to buy a set of U.S.A. cup measures but only remember when I am reading the actual recipe, and so it goes on. Metric weight is my preference.

I would like the size of the onion to be stated too, unless it was given by weight. Half a large onion or half a small one - a lot of difference.

I think I really agree with no mayonnaise in this (really love mayonnaise though;)).

In my opinion, measurements should be given to reflect the most accurate way to measure an ingredient.
Quantities like a "bunch" or "handful" really annoy me. They have no place in a recipe IMO.
As for flour, it depends on whether it's for cooking or baking. For baking, flour should NEVER be given in volume, and only given in weight.

The best measurement would be weight, followed by fraction of a size, followed by volume--In my opinion.

Thank you no mayonnaise

So lesson learned for me:
1. stay away from baking :ohmy:
2. use weight, not volume
3. do not use vague quantities

Third point conflicts with second one. If I need to use parsley, and I cannot say a handful of parsley, I'll say "half a cup", but I'll never say "20 grams". I think the problem arises only with some ingredients, like parsley or rosemary. But we are talking about recipes, not baking, so some level of uncertainty may be allowed.

I second Hoot seconding Steve.. :)

Thanks FrankZ

Ok for weight in grams.
Now I realize I tend to think in terms of weight for solid ingredients, in terms of volume for liquid ingredients, while taking no exact position for powders or grains (flour, salt, grated cheese). That's interesting.
Well, maybe it comes from the habit to ask for a liter of milk, not a kg (or what it is...). :ohmy:

I agree on 'bunch' and 'handful'. Also a 'small can'.

Thanks Andy M.

Bunch and handful rehabilitated, for onions and similar ingredients I'll show both: Half a small onion finely chopped (xxx grams)

Hello Luca, as I live in England I find recipes giving cups as a measure rather than weight perplexing. I keep meaning to buy a set of U.S.A. cup measures but only remember when I am reading the actual recipe, and so it goes on. Metric weight is my preference.

I would like the size of the onion to be stated too, unless it was given by weight. Half a large onion or half a small one - a lot of difference.

I think I really agree with no mayonnaise in this (really love mayonnaise though;)).

acerbicacid, I love British puns! Sometimes I can even understand them :ohmy:

Ok, for now:
metric weight for solid ingredients
metric weight + cup volume for liquid ingredients
number of pieces + size of the pieces for things like onions
uncertain definitions for ingredients like parsley OR volume definition for the chopped/diced etc. ingredient
AND
teaspoon/tablespoon measurements when needed. A teaspoon of freshly grounded black pepper is better then 12,7 grams of it, IMHO :)

Good morning Luca (well it is here, morning that is)

Completely agree with you when you say "teaspoon/tablespoon measurements when needed. A teaspoon of freshly grounded black pepper is better then 12,7 grams of it, IMHO"

I hadn't even thought of that, can't imagine trying to actually weigh ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. :)

Can I post smilies on quick replies I wonder.

Recipe or formula, how do you know if they are reputable?

I use a formula for my bread, but people have been baking at home for a long time with a recipe, some more successful than others. If someone refuses to follow a recipe, what makes you think they would follow a formula?

Conveying the quantities to help someone is the first step. After that it is just fine tuning and better understanding.

Back
Top Bottom