Unknown fruits in a painting from 17 century

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

binaryMoods

Assistant Cook
Willem Kalf, a Dutch artist.

Still Life with Ewer, Vessels and Pomegranate

Do you see those two green raisin looking like fruits? In a small basket on the left hand side.

They look like raisins, but they are too big to be raisins. They don't look like pears.

811px-Kalf,_Willem_-_Still_Life_with_Ewer,_Vessels_and_Pomegranate_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Definitely not green figs. From the size compared with the lemon I'm saying green olives. Note the 'stem end'. Green figs are shaped like a small pear and when ready to eat are about half the size of a lemon.

Last edited:
At first I thought of figs, now I'm not sure maybe green plums. I think I see a slice of melon on the right side of the basket. I looked at several descriptions of the painting and they all give a general description.

Last edited:
Definitely not green figs. From the size compared with the lemon I'm saying green olives. Note the 'stem end'. Green figs are shaped like a small pear and when ready to eat are about half the size of a lemon.

Not there. Look on the left side of the painting, not the right side.

Here is a really good close up, I now think these could be green grapes as clusters

ab6vt0.jpg

Last edited:
Considering the detailed work in other parts of the painting, I would expect to be able to see separate grapes if that's what they were. They look like solid fruits to me.

That's a good thought, too, Dawg.

I'm fascinated by this whole thing, and a little frustrated that I can't find information on this particular painting lol There was an exhibition of his work in the United States in 2000 and a catalog associated with it, but it doesn't look like this one was included.

Apparently he painted each item individually, deliberately with great detail. Very interesting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom