"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-11-2007, 06:28 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to obiwan9962 Send a message via Yahoo to obiwan9962
Quote:
Originally Posted by boufa06
Banana blossom salad, a Peranakan dish that has shrimp, cucumber, shallots and chilli paste served with coconut sauce.
i wondered why this sounded familiar
it is of southern chinese/thai origin but with a malay twist

Old 06-12-2007, 02:52 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwan9962
i wondered why this sounded familiar
it is of southern chinese/thai origin but with a malay twist
With respect to the dish, you are probably right. Since bananas grow natively in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore, it is quite likely that all of these countries share variants of this dish. As far as the Peranakan cuisine is concerned, it is quite a distinct one born out of the amalgamation of traditional Chinese and Malay cuisines. Chinese immigrants who settled in the then Portuguese colony of Malacca (in Malaysia), were influenced by the local culture, custom, cuisine etc and evolved into a distinct new culture known as Peranakan. The Peranakans can be found in significant numbers today in Singapore, and Malaysia clinging to their own cultural identity, cuisine, mode of dressing, etc.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:09 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to obiwan9962 Send a message via Yahoo to obiwan9962
Quote:
Originally Posted by boufa06
With respect to the dish, you are probably right. Since bananas grow natively in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore, it is quite likely that all of these countries share variants of this dish. As far as the Peranakan cuisine is concerned, it is quite a distinct one born out of the amalgamation of traditional Chinese and Malay cuisines. Chinese immigrants who settled in the then Portuguese colony of Malacca (in Malaysia), were influenced by the local culture, custom, cuisine etc and evolved into a distinct new culture known as Peranakan. The Peranakans can be found in significant numbers today in Singapore, and Malaysia clinging to their own cultural identity, cuisine, mode of dressing, etc.
thanks
i will add that to my vast store of food history minutia
i love stuff like that
Old 06-12-2007, 07:32 AM   #24
Sous Chef

Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
How about a can of sardines! With a slice of onion, some red rind cheese, crackers, Louisiana Hot Sauce and/or Hot pepper sauce.
That's not odd. That's just good! I found out at work one day while eating lunch at my desk that not everyone has a fondness for sardines and/or onion.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:44 PM   #25
Master Chef

I don't know if you would call it unusual but I like Taylor Ham otherwise known as Pork Roll on a hard roll, with egg and cheese.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:47 PM   #26
DC's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
I don't know if you would call it unusual but I like Taylor Ham otherwise known as Pork Roll on a hard roll, with egg and cheese.
Great stuff!!!! I grew up eating it back in Pennsylvania.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:40 AM   #27
Master Chef

Oh my God - I LOVE Taylor Ham/aka Pork Roll!! Haven't had it in years, but still remember that wonderful smokiness. It produced something along the lines of cold-cut brain freeze - lol!!!

Mom used to buy it all the time & send us to school with Taylor Ham & American Cheese sandwiches. You could smell the smokiness right thru the lunchbox!!