Unusual Foods We Like

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
boufa06 said:
Banana blossom salad, a Peranakan dish that has shrimp, cucumber, shallots and chilli paste served with coconut sauce.
i wondered why this sounded familiar
it is of southern chinese/thai origin but with a malay twist

obiwan9962 said:
i wondered why this sounded familiar
it is of southern chinese/thai origin but with a malay twist
With respect to the dish, you are probably right. Since bananas grow natively in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore, it is quite likely that all of these countries share variants of this dish. As far as the Peranakan cuisine is concerned, it is quite a distinct one born out of the amalgamation of traditional Chinese and Malay cuisines. Chinese immigrants who settled in the then Portuguese colony of Malacca (in Malaysia), were influenced by the local culture, custom, cuisine etc and evolved into a distinct new culture known as Peranakan. The Peranakans can be found in significant numbers today in Singapore, and Malaysia clinging to their own cultural identity, cuisine, mode of dressing, etc.

boufa06 said:
With respect to the dish, you are probably right. Since bananas grow natively in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore, it is quite likely that all of these countries share variants of this dish. As far as the Peranakan cuisine is concerned, it is quite a distinct one born out of the amalgamation of traditional Chinese and Malay cuisines. Chinese immigrants who settled in the then Portuguese colony of Malacca (in Malaysia), were influenced by the local culture, custom, cuisine etc and evolved into a distinct new culture known as Peranakan. The Peranakans can be found in significant numbers today in Singapore, and Malaysia clinging to their own cultural identity, cuisine, mode of dressing, etc.
thanks
i will add that to my vast store of food history minutia
i love stuff like that:)

Yum

Uncle Bob said:
How about a can of sardines! With a slice of onion, some red rind cheese, crackers, Louisiana Hot Sauce and/or Hot pepper sauce.:chef:

That's not odd. That's just good! I found out at work one day while eating lunch at my desk that not everyone has a fondness for sardines and/or onion.:sick:

I don't know if you would call it unusual but I like Taylor Ham otherwise known as Pork Roll on a hard roll, with egg and cheese. :)

Oh my God - I LOVE Taylor Ham/aka Pork Roll!! Haven't had it in years, but still remember that wonderful smokiness. It produced something along the lines of cold-cut brain freeze - lol!!!

Mom used to buy it all the time & send us to school with Taylor Ham & American Cheese sandwiches. You could smell the smokiness right thru the lunchbox!!

Back
Top Bottom