"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2017, 06:52 PM   #1
Cook

Unusual ingredients in strange places

Although Iím ashamed to admit it, because of budget constraints Iíve recently been shopping at Walmart. I usually go there just to buy basic pantry staples, but Iíve been noticing lately that they carry some unusual items there that I havenít seen in supermarkets. I found a lovely harrisa paste, for example, but my main ďbingoĒ item is ghee.

If you donít know about ghee, itís basically clarified butter used often in Indian cuisine. The butter fats have been strained out, so it has a higher smoking point, and itís perfect for caramelizing onions, and mushrooms, and perfect for toasting bread in the oven (along with all the many recipes available for Indian cuisine), and donít forget lobster! It needs no refrigeration and has a shelf life of 6 months.

Iíve known about the benefits of clarified butter for years, but whenever a recipe called for it my reaction was ďFeh, too much trouble, Iíll just use regular butter,Ē but it really makes a difference! And now I donít have to fuss with it!

Have yíall found any notable or unusual ingredients on the shelves of your local supermarket? Iíd love to hear about them!

Old 10-21-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
Head Chef

I found a tube of anchovy paste and a tube of tomato paste. I hate the tomato paste that comes out of a can because I can always taste the tin. The tomato paste in a tube doesn't have that off taste, so that makes me happy.

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
Cook

I love tubed tomato paste; rarely have I ever s even a recipe that calls for more than a tablespoon or two. What do ya do with rest of that tiny can?

I don’t like anchovy paste though, even though I love anchovies (I just got some delicious canned Spanish anchovies on-line. Superb). The anchovy paste in tubes has an off taste, bitter and too salty. It is convenient though!
Old 10-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Although Iím ashamed to admit it, because of budget constraints Iíve recently been shopping at Walmart.
Nothing to be ashamed of. We won't judge you. I've shopped there a few times myself....
Old 10-21-2017, 07:35 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Due to budget constraints, I grow my san marzanos, and green beans, and lots of other stuff. I can lots of stuff. I'm happy with that. Do I buy stuff, yes. Is it in weird places? Not really. I try to buy more local but coffee and chocolate will never be local. Oil, sugar, flour, some spices, some herbs. I'm content with that. I use amazon sometimes, sometimes local grocery stores. We don't have to have everything all the time. We get by.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:04 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
If you donít know about ghee, itís basically clarified butter used often in Indian cuisine. The butter fats have been strained out, so it has a higher smoking point, and itís perfect for caramelizing onions, and mushrooms, and perfect for toasting bread in the oven (along with all the many recipes available for Indian cuisine), and donít forget lobster! It needs no refrigeration and has a shelf life of 6 months.

Iíve known about the benefits of clarified butter for years, but whenever a recipe called for it my reaction was ďFeh, too much trouble, Iíll just use regular butter,Ē but it really makes a difference! And now I donít have to fuss with it!
Just FYI, ghee is butterfat with the milk solids strained out, which is why it lasts so long. It's really easy to make: take a stick or two of butter (however much you want) and melt it in a saucepan. Put a strainer lined with cheesecloth over a container (a glass canning jar works well) and pour the melted butter through it. Let cool and cover. Done.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Just FYI, ghee is butterfat with the milk solids strained out, which is why it lasts so long. It's really easy to make: take a stick or two of butter (however much you want) and melt it in a saucepan. Put a strainer lined with cheesecloth over a container (a glass canning jar works well) and pour the melted butter through it. Let cool and cover. Done.

You really should cook it for a bit to boil off the water that is part of the butter. Also, some ghee is cooked longer until the butterfat darkens a bit.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:43 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You really should cook it for a bit to boil off the water that is part of the butter. Also, some ghee is cooked longer until the butterfat darkens a bit.
Yes, I forgot about that. Once it stops foaming, the water has cooked off. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:56 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
I love tubed tomato paste; rarely have I ever s even a recipe that calls for more than a tablespoon or two. What do ya do with rest of that tiny can?...
Lots of recipes I use call for "two tablespoons" of paste. I pull out a sheet of waxed paper and cut it into squares, put the squares on a baking sheet, take the can and my tablespoon measuring spoon, and dollop two measures of paste onto the waxed paper. Freeze. When you go to put the squares of the frozen tomato paste that's on the waxed paper into a zipped freezer bag, first twist up the corners of each square of paper to make a little pouch of tomato paste. Those 2-Tbsp measures are ready to go the next time I need one. If I need only one Tbsp, I can just cut one lump into two...or make a double recipe.

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:46 AM   #10
Master Chef

I smoosh the leftover tomato paste into a plastic sandwich bag and freeze it.