Unusual ingredients in strange places

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
Although I’m ashamed to admit it, because of budget constraints I’ve recently been shopping at Walmart. I usually go there just to buy basic pantry staples, but I’ve been noticing lately that they carry some unusual items there that I haven’t seen in supermarkets. I found a lovely harrisa paste, for example, but my main “bingo” item is ghee.

If you don’t know about ghee, it’s basically clarified butter used often in Indian cuisine. The butter fats have been strained out, so it has a higher smoking point, and it’s perfect for caramelizing onions, and mushrooms, and perfect for toasting bread in the oven (along with all the many recipes available for Indian cuisine), and don’t forget lobster! It needs no refrigeration and has a shelf life of 6 months.

I’ve known about the benefits of clarified butter for years, but whenever a recipe called for it my reaction was “Feh, too much trouble, I’ll just use regular butter,” but it really makes a difference! And now I don’t have to fuss with it!

Have y’all found any notable or unusual ingredients on the shelves of your local supermarket? I’d love to hear about them!

I found a tube of anchovy paste and a tube of tomato paste. I hate the tomato paste that comes out of a can because I can always taste the tin. The tomato paste in a tube doesn't have that off taste, so that makes me happy.

I love tubed tomato paste; rarely have I ever s even a recipe that calls for more than a tablespoon or two. What do ya do with rest of that tiny can?

I don’t like anchovy paste though, even though I love anchovies (I just got some delicious canned Spanish anchovies on-line. Superb). The anchovy paste in tubes has an off taste, bitter and too salty. It is convenient though!

Due to budget constraints, I grow my san marzanos, and green beans, and lots of other stuff. I can lots of stuff. I'm happy with that. Do I buy stuff, yes. Is it in weird places? Not really. I try to buy more local but coffee and chocolate will never be local. Oil, sugar, flour, some spices, some herbs. I'm content with that. I use amazon sometimes, sometimes local grocery stores. We don't have to have everything all the time. We get by.

If you don’t know about ghee, it’s basically clarified butter used often in Indian cuisine. The butter fats have been strained out, so it has a higher smoking point, and it’s perfect for caramelizing onions, and mushrooms, and perfect for toasting bread in the oven (along with all the many recipes available for Indian cuisine), and don’t forget lobster! It needs no refrigeration and has a shelf life of 6 months.

I’ve known about the benefits of clarified butter for years, but whenever a recipe called for it my reaction was “Feh, too much trouble, I’ll just use regular butter,” but it really makes a difference! And now I don’t have to fuss with it!

Just FYI, ghee is butterfat with the milk solids strained out, which is why it lasts so long. It's really easy to make: take a stick or two of butter (however much you want) and melt it in a saucepan. Put a strainer lined with cheesecloth over a container (a glass canning jar works well) and pour the melted butter through it. Let cool and cover. Done.

Just FYI, ghee is butterfat with the milk solids strained out, which is why it lasts so long. It's really easy to make: take a stick or two of butter (however much you want) and melt it in a saucepan. Put a strainer lined with cheesecloth over a container (a glass canning jar works well) and pour the melted butter through it. Let cool and cover. Done.

You really should cook it for a bit to boil off the water that is part of the butter. Also, some ghee is cooked longer until the butterfat darkens a bit.

You really should cook it for a bit to boil off the water that is part of the butter. Also, some ghee is cooked longer until the butterfat darkens a bit.
Yes, I forgot about that. Once it stops foaming, the water has cooked off. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:
I love tubed tomato paste; rarely have I ever s even a recipe that calls for more than a tablespoon or two. What do ya do with rest of that tiny can?...
Lots of recipes I use call for "two tablespoons" of paste. I pull out a sheet of waxed paper and cut it into squares, put the squares on a baking sheet, take the can and my tablespoon measuring spoon, and dollop two measures of paste onto the waxed paper. Freeze. When you go to put the squares of the frozen tomato paste that's on the waxed paper into a zipped freezer bag, first twist up the corners of each square of paper to make a little pouch of tomato paste. Those 2-Tbsp measures are ready to go the next time I need one. If I need only one Tbsp, I can just cut one lump into two...or make a double recipe. :LOL:

I smoosh the leftover tomato paste into a plastic sandwich bag and freeze it.

25ST-Frozentomatopaste.jpg

Wow Bea! now that's clever!

Although I’m ashamed to admit it, because of budget constraints I’ve recently been shopping at Walmart.

Joel, the vast majority here are interested in saving on our food costs, some more than others. Don't feel ashamed to admit having budget constraints and shopping at Walmart! You're very mistaken if you think we throw $$ around, and all shop exclusively at Whole Foods. :LOL:

My son works, or I should say worked at Big Lots, and a lot of their grocery items are off brands that were over stocked from other stores or venders. So, not only is the price right, but its usually strange items, many of them ethnic items and brands, that you wouldn't find anywhere else. As long as the expiration date is good, I have no problems with him picking stuff up at the reduced prices ( plus is employee discount of 20% helps out too). So, we have tried some unique things there ( its been months since he worked there, so I don't remember any specific items). But, once again, in places like that , the dollar stores ... gotta check the expiration dates and then use common sense as to whether its something you want to use that is pushing its expiration date.

Larry, I've found some interesting food items at Big Lots with great prices also.

I love our big dollar store that carries produce, and everything is surprisingly fresh!

I mentioned on a post that I recently found expensive gourmet Pink Himalayan Salt granules in a reusable acrylic grinder, packed in the USA. Now that's a real dollar find!

Most ethnic markets are usually a gold mine for unusual things and sometimes bargains too. Just have to check the quality. In the Indian store, I get cashews for less than Id pay anywhere else. In the Asian market, I get dried for mango significantly less too ( just the few things that come to mind). And Im always leaving with something , that I have no clue what it is, just to try it out ( Which cancels out anything I've saved with bargains :) )

I used to get some great Thai curry paste there for 2 bucks a jar, Jamaican jerk marinade, smoked oysters (big ones). Just to name a few..

There's an overstock/dollar store here that sells really difficult to find Rogan Josh sauce in a jar, and wasabi flavored Gkim (Korean dried laver). I need to get back there soon.

Back
Top Bottom