"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-23-2016, 08:21 PM   #1
Cook

Urgent! How do you double hamburger helper?

getting ready to cook now. i am wondering do you double everything or is there a reduction ratio so some of the ingredients.

i am talking about making 2 boxes of cheeseburger macaroni helper

Old 06-23-2016, 09:03 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Double everything.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #3
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii

I haven't bought a box of any kind of "helper"
in years... what's in that stuff anyways?

From Bettycrocker.com:

Cheeseburger Macaroni

Enriched Macaroni (wheat flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), Corn Starch, Salt, Enriched Flour (wheat flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), Sugar, Ricotta Cheese* (whey, milkfat, lactic acid, salt), Tomato*, Monosodium Glutamate, Maltodextrin, Citric Acid, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Modified Corn Starch, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Paprika, Spice, Color (yellow lakes 5 & 6, yellows 5 & 6), Mono and Diglycerides, Cheddar Cheese* (milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), Yeast Extract, Enzyme Modified Blue Cheese (milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), Cream, Whey, Enzyme Modified Cheddar Cheese (milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), Butter Oil, Nonfat Milk, Blue Cheese* (milk, salt, cheese cultures, enzymes), Sodium Caseinate, Silicon Dioxide (anticaking agent), Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Citrate, Calcium Caseinate, Enzymes.*Dried

YIKES!
Old 06-23-2016, 09:23 PM   #4
Honey Badger

What Andy says.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:31 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post

in years... what's in that stuff anyways?....

YIKES!
All those asterisks and parenthetical entries!

I hate seeing "sugar" up there above things like "dried cheese" and "dried tomato". For crying out loud, it isn't dessert.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:31 PM   #6
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post

in years... what's in that stuff anyways?

From Bettycrocker.com:

Cheeseburger Macaroni

Enriched Macaroni (wheat flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), Corn Starch, Salt, Enriched Flour (wheat flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), Sugar, Ricotta Cheese* (whey, milkfat, lactic acid, salt), Tomato*, Monosodium Glutamate, Maltodextrin, Citric Acid, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Modified Corn Starch, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Paprika, Spice, Color (yellow lakes 5 & 6, yellows 5 & 6), Mono and Diglycerides, Cheddar Cheese* (milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), Yeast Extract, Enzyme Modified Blue Cheese (milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), Cream, Whey, Enzyme Modified Cheddar Cheese (milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), Butter Oil, Nonfat Milk, Blue Cheese* (milk, salt, cheese cultures, enzymes), Sodium Caseinate, Silicon Dioxide (anticaking agent), Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Citrate, Calcium Caseinate, Enzymes.*Dried

YIKES!
See what you haven't had in years?
YIKES!
Old 06-23-2016, 10:04 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Do we really need to shame people for taking shortcuts? I'm sure we all do occasionally. If not - congrats on your perfection
Old 06-23-2016, 10:06 PM   #8
Cook

thank you all for your replies and imputs. but when i had the hamburger ready there were not yet any replies. with impatient kids i had to wing it.

i did a 150% method so when it called for 2 cups of milk i did 3. it turned out pretty good. i did the straight double in the past and it was too runnery. that experience is what made me prompt this question.

as far as the ingredients... well i eat hot dogs in good faith...if ever in louisiana they have some of the best food as long as you dont ask whats in it.
sorry to dissappoint when you are poor like us we deal with what we can get a hold of.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:10 PM   #9
Cook

i had a longer more detailed reply... i got an older slide out keyboard phone with primitive web browser. one little glitch and it wipes out my whole screen i typed out and reesets thee text box.

so if you see bad grammeer and messed up text thats why
Old 06-23-2016, 10:28 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockey_f_squirrell View Post
...as far as the ingredients... well i eat hot dogs in good faith...if ever in louisiana they have some of the best food as long as you dont ask whats in it...
Like the saying "don't ask how they make the sausage".

I was going to suggest an equally quick but less processed way of fixing a quick meal like Hamburger Helper, but my own Helper had shown up with the grilled sausages. I didn't want to offend without an alternate suggestion, but I still did a post-and-run. Oops.

You might want to pick up a 2# block of Velveeta. It keeps for-ev-er in the fridge. The next time you want that kind of quick meal, cook your macaroni or any other kind of short pasta. I find whatever is "on sale" works best. While the pasta is draining, use the same pot to saute the ground meat. Add a can of tomato paste, a goodly amount of Velveeta, and the macaronis. Less salt and other additives, practically no sweetener, and still a good meal. Want just "mac and cheese"? Omit the tomato sauce. Want a tuna-noodle creamy thing? Use macaronis, a can of tuna, a can of cream of mushroom soup, and a few Tbsp of cream cheese, if you have it. Frozen peas tossed in, too, if you want.

Most any of those boxed shortcut meals have a semi-from scratch version that is cheaper, just as easy to make, and less processed version. Between all of us here, we've probably all hacked at least one of those boxes, so if you give us enough warning we can make suggestions even before you head out the door to shop.

Tags
ham, hamburger