Uses for unflavored gelatin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Hi, I have a few packages of unflavored gelatin. Does anyone have any idea what I can do with them (other than make jello)???

Thanks!!

Hi Tattrat, thanks for the quick response! I had to look up what aspic is. I have never heard of this before. After finding a couple different recipes, I don't think my family will try it. It might be a bit too foreign for them. Any other ideas? Thanks!!!

Well an aspic is nothing more then the "jiggly stuff" when ever you cool your <insert meat> cut, and juices.

what type of application are you looking for. Gelatin=sky is the limit.........so long as it is not sky high:rolleyes:

From the recipes I saw on the net, it's like having meat in a mold with gelatin, right? Many of the recipes I saw said it's served with a salad. I might be able to get them to try it if I put meat in it. They are big time meat eaters. :) Though this is a very new concept for me to think of using the gelatin with meat.

Well you are right. It is typically a "sealer" for a tarine. All good pate<insert the lil thing over the E>, has a thin layer of the forementioned aspic.

If the fam isn't feeling that, go for your own jellies. Whatever yo feel like can yield a fun and new twist to your fams palate, and help you use the gelatin up too. next time you are at market, look and see what is on special in the fruit/berry isle. All you have to do is process the item of choice in a manner that is gelatin friendly. You may be surprised with the results...in a good way!

Before gums like xanthan, guar and cellulose came along, gelatin use to be the traditional stabilizer in ice cream.

Gelatin can also be used in making foams.

Gelatin is not in pepper jelly.
I have a vegetable sandwich filling that uses gelatin if you want.
Aspics can also be salads using tomato juice.
I also have a pretty neat appetizer my DMIL made for teas. It was tomato aspic made in mini-muffin tins with a shrimp in the bottom. To serve the little round of aspic/shrimp was turned out on a Ritz cracker.

I got out my 1964 addition of Joy of Cooking...it has several interesting recipes for aspic salads.
I thought this one looked very nice:

Chicken Aspic

Soak:
1 tbl gelatin
in:
1/2 cup cold water
Dissolve it in:
2 cups boiling chicken broth or stock
Add seasoning if needed.
Chill, and when the gelatin begins to set, rinse a mold in cold water and fill it with:
1/2 inch of the jelly.
Build up layers of:
3 cups cooked, diced chicken
and the jelly. Ornament the layers with:
1 cup canned mushroom caps
2 sliced hard-cooked eggs
12 sliced stuffed olives.
Chill the jelly until firm. Unmold it and serve with or without Mayonnaise.

There are also recipes for assorted vegetable molds, seafood molds, and tomato aspic, if any of you all are interested.

Last edited:
As far as uses for unflavored gelatin I don't have a clue. I am sure that some of our great cooks and chefs will come up with something.

Have a great day.

Jill and Jolie

Constance said:
I got out my 1964 addition of Joy of Cooking...it has several interesting recipes for aspic salads.
I thought this one looked very nice:

Chicken Aspic

Soak:
1 tbl gelatin
in:
1/2 cup cold water
Dissolve it in:
2 cups boiling chicken broth or stock
Add seasoning if needed.
Chill, and when the gelatin begins to set, rinse a mold in cold water and fill it with:
1/2 inch of the jelly.
Build up layers of:
3 cups cooked, diced chicken
and the jelly. Ornament the layers with:
1 cup canned mushroom caps
2 sliced hard-cooked eggs
12 sliced stuffed olives.
Chill the jelly until firm. Unmold it and serve with or without Mayonnaise.

There are also recipes for assorted vegetable molds, seafood molds, and tomato aspic, if any of you all are interested.

Thanks Constance! Copied and pasted! Always been interested in making aspic!

i find that packages of unflavored gelatin never fail to please as party favors or wedding gifts.
icon12.gif

Back
Top Bottom