Uses of sage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sprinkle it over raw turkey or chicken before you put it in the oven. Add a little to stuffing. It's wonderful with poultry.

I use it on all kinds of meat and poultry. My oldest daughter did show me how she uses it on fish, yes, fish! Both she and I love sage and she got the idea to mix quite a bit of it with her breading for some catfish fillets and it is wonderful!! I had never thought of trying it with fish and now I do thanks to her.

Shunka said:
I use it on all kinds of meat and poultry. My oldest daughter did show me how she uses it on fish, yes, fish! Both she and I love sage and she got the idea to mix quite a bit of it with her breading for some catfish fillets and it is wonderful!! I had never thought of trying it with fish and now I do thanks to her.
Its good with anchovies.

Someone mentioned 'stuffing'... down here, they call it 'dressing', but sage is excellent in it. Especially in Cornbread Dressing.

I recommend that as well. ;)

:w00t: my type of question!
you can use sage in so many things.
i use it on chicken, on fish such as tilapia or cod, in many soups (especially chicken noodle and tomato or in beef broth), in pork and chicken gravy, on lamb chops, in tomato sauces and tomato-based dishes, on buttered carrots, even on broiled ribeyes. sage enhances so many savory dishes. i use it almost as often as i use salt and pepper.
i almost always use ground sage.

Chicken With Sage & Prosciutto

:chef: There's a chicken recipe I love which uses sage and prosciutto. The recipe came from Andrea Immer, a sommelier, who used this recipe as an example something great to pair with Chianti.

Here's a link to the entry in my blog where I posted the recipe:

http://cookiemadness.blogspot.com/2005/07/andrea-immers-chicken-breasts-with.html

There's a picture there as well. It's a super easy recipe!

Go Italian! So many classic Italian dishes include sage (or as it is called in Italian "salvia") such as saltimbocca (veal and prosciutto rolled up together with a sage leaf - though I prefer to use turkey breast, very similar to the recipe cookie monster suggested), salviata (a savoury sage pudding sometimes accompanied by a celery ragu) and pumpkin gnocchi (gnocchi di zucca) which is classically dressed in a butter and sage sauce. Scrumptious!

For me though the absolute biggest use of sage in in my homemade stuffings (for poultry and pork). Odd as it may sound I also like to add dried sage leaves to potpourri mixes :mrgreen:

I'm with Sandyj - I always use it on turkeys! I prefer the "rubbed sage" or "rubbed dalmation sage" better than regular ground sage.

My turkey recipe: rubbed sage all over the bird, a peeled, quartered orange in the cavity and a mix of fresh orange juice, dijon mustard and honey for a glaze. Put it into an 18 qt roaster, and baste every so often. The glaze plus sage makes a great gravy!

baked pork chops with parmesan sage crust

I've used this recipe several times and it always comes out very well. I've also used chicken instead of pork chops and it may even be better. I don't have the patience to make fresh breadcrumbs so I just use panko, which are japanese breadcrumbs and you can find them in the asian section at most supermarkets. I find that the panko really locks in the juice and makes the chops nice and tender. Try this out and let me know if you like it!:mrgreen:

1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs made from crustless French bread (I use panko breadcrumbs)
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
1 tablespoon dried rubbed sage
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
2 large eggs
1/4 cup all purpose flour
4 bone-in center-cut pork loin chops (each about 1 inch thick)
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
Lemon wedges (optional)
Orange wedges (optional)

preperation_hed.gif

Preheat oven to 425°F. Mix breadcrumbs, cheese, sage and lemon peel in pie dish. Whisk eggs in medium bowl to blend. Place flour on plate; season generously with salt and pepper. Coat pork chops on both sides with flour; shake off excess. Dip chops into eggs, then coat on both sides with breadcrumb mixture.

Melt butter with oil in heavy large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork chops to skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer skillet with pork to oven. Bake until pork chops are crisp on the outside and meat thermometer inserted into pork registers 150°F, about 20 minutes. Transfer pork chops to plates. Garnish with lemon wedges and orange wedges, if desired, and serve.

Makes 4 servings.

Sage is one of the most used herbs in my kitchen ... fresh this time of year, "rubbed" dried in the winter. All poultry, pork and fish get a dose of it. I make a lot of stocks, soups, and stews, and when making my basic stock, a branch goes in (along with a branch of thyme), then get pulled out when the stock tastes the way I want it to. To me, sage and thyme are natural partners. If you aren't going to stuff a bird, a great thing to do is put a branch each of sage and thyme, a lemon, and a head of garlic in the cavity of the bird (chicken, duck, turkey, game hen) before baking, then remove when you carve it. Yumm yumm.

Back
Top Bottom