Using a thermometer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keltin

Washing Up
Ok, now I’m curious, do people use meat thermometers all the time. I use them rarely. Two cases really, pork butt on the smoker (need 200 or 205 Fahrenheit) and rotisserie chicken…..just because it’s there; I like to check it before taking it of the spit.

Other than that, you can “judge” when it’s done (with practice). Frying a piece of chicken it stops “talking to you” (quits doing major oil bubbles and flares) when it is close to done. Most fried food “floats” when close to done. Pressing (not hard) on beef like steak or hamburger gives you the idea of doneness (wavy like a waterbed is RARE!!!).

How many use the thermometers and why? A Turkey, unless I’m frying it, always gets a probe!

I admit, I use a thermometer a lot.
BUT.. I am training self to poke and observe,
so eventually I won't need it.
:chef:

The only times I really use a thermometer is when I'm doing some delicate baking, or work with chocolate. I also use it when I make creme anglaise, or when I cook large pieces of meat. For example the holiday turkey (though last thanksgiving the thermometer crapped out on me and I successful temped the bird by touch), or when I slow roast a whole pork loin.

oh my yes, I practically carry one in my pocket. I use them for much more than meats. The first thing in the morning is I monitor the water temperature I am heating for my coffee, do not like to see it go over 195*F. I use one to check temps of foods being reheated in the microwave. It is a must for yogurt making, first you heat the milk to 180*F, then cool to @120*F.........I could go on, but the goats are mooing............

I have 2 thermometers, one large one and a small one that fits in your pocket. I never use either one. Somehow when you cook a lot like I do and you do it for years, you just know when something is done just by looking at it and the aroma.

I use one when cooking a nice roast. I like it rare and often overcook it so I rediscovered the thermometer.

I use one on meats larger than the size of my fist. I am especially bad about misjudging when a grilled chicken breast is cooked through. I started using a meat thermometer and immediately stopped undercooking my chicken.

I use a thremometer for roast meats and poultry. Also for chicken breasts (with bone and skin) on the grill. As Tom said, no more overcooked, dry chicken.

Burgers, sausages and steaks don't get a thermometer.

I do carry one in my pocket. Heck, I even have a special pocket stitched into my sleeves for probe thermometer, marker, and pen. Of course, that comes standard on my uniform jackets at work.

I try to calibrate mine ever couple of weeks or so.

Andy M. said:
I use a thremometer for roast meats and poultry. Also for chicken breasts (with bone and skin) on the grill. As Tom said, no more overcooked, dry chicken.

Burgers, sausages and steaks don't get a thermometer.

What he said.

I also use it to check the temp of my warm water when dissolving yeast, the temp of my brine and temp of oil when frying.

Rather than overcook (or worse, undercook) pork or poultry, I use my Thermapen religiously. I find it essential. You can use the poke and prod method, but I find that the thermometer is more accurate. I don't cook the same kinds of meats repeatedly enough to develop a good feel, so I do it with technology... :chef:

Back
Top Bottom