"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 10-26-2006, 04:29 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Do it do it do it do it!!! You'll be so happy with the results! The flavour is wonderful and the colour is brilliant.

When I was 12, I peeled it, cubed it and put the cubes into a pressure cooker. I never did it that way again.
Now, I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and then slowly roast it in the oven till it's soft enough to scoop out of the skin. When it's cool enough to handle, I put it into the food processor. After that, put it into a colander to get out the excess water. Use one with very small holes because you don't want to actually loose the flesh. You could skip the colander part and simply put it into a cheesecloth and wring it out.

After that, follow the recipe as you normally would. It freezes beautifully in ziploc bags that have had all the air removed. Freeze it in 1c portions.

do it do it do it!!!

How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:58 AM   #12
Senior Cook
here are some other links to check:
Who's ready for pumpkin pie?
What is your favorite pumpkin pie recipe?
Pumpkin recipes and tips wanted...

let me make sure that wine's ok before i use it.
philso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:50 AM   #13
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I also use fresh pumpkin for cakes and pies, and works out great. Just squeeze out the excess liquid well, and since it contains a lot of liquid, you will need at least about 4-5 times as much of the raw pumpkin before cooking, for required amount at the end.
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:32 AM   #14
Sous Chef
A few years ago in the States, I did a taste test with pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread. I baked sugar pumpkins for the scratch puree and used a quality canned puree and compared the two in the bread and pie recipes. Now, the foods we eat are whole-foods, nothing processed, nothing artificial, no colourings, etc, so this was a leap for me. I have to say that I found the rumours to be true... tinned (canned) pumpkin is better than scratch. This is probably the one product I use exclusively from the can as opposed to fresh. The great thing is that it is nothing but pumpkin. They don't add a thing to it. Of course, one can't get it in Germany, but it can be shipped from the States!
Life is too short to eat processed, artificially-colored, chemically-preserved, genetically-modified food. Or maybe that IS why life's too short.
velochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:03 AM   #15
Master Chef
I made pies using my Halloween Jack-O-Lantern "guts" twice, & was disappointed in the results. Rather bland, & it took a lot of time to reduce the water in the pumpkin flesh. However, after reading all the above, I wish the recipe I was following had advised roasting the pumpkin rather than steaming it. That probably makes a big difference.

Anyway, these days I save the seeds for roasting & toss the scraped out "guts" outside for the deer, squirrels, & vultures. Yup, I did say vultures. It's pretty funny watching them all land & walk around in a circle around a pile of pumpkin innards - guess it looks like a dead animal to them when in flight.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:44 AM   #16
Executive Chef
I don't remember ever making pumkin or squash pie, but the " Southern cousin" to these is the sweet potato pie, which I've made many, many, many times.

They are all basically pretty much made the same way and fall in the Custard Pie catagory.

Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:58 AM   #17
Sous Chef
I have tried both and honestly felt that the canned was better - a lot less work and a fuller tatse...But if you have the time go ahead and try it - we all have different tastes and you might like it better - You never know till you try - Good luck - let us know what you decide and how it went
"There are many things in life that will catch your eye - but only a few things will catch your heart. Pursue those!"
Reanie525i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:11 AM   #18
Master Chef
I watched one of Michael Chiarello's shows where he was cooking with butternut squash, and he said that Libby's Pumpkin is actually butternut squash.
I can believe that. I grew my own pumpkins one year, the little sweet "pie pumpkins", and once I cooked the pumpkin down and canned it, the texture was fine, but it didn't have the beautiful color of the canned pumpkin.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:49 AM   #19
Assistant Cook
I like using baked sweet potatoes in pies like pumpkin the flavor is better I think

kittyjo is offline   Reply With Quote