Using Fresh Pumpkin for Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanniA

Assistant Cook
With Thanksgiving coming up next month I'm going to be baking some pumpkin pies for the family, and friends and was wondering if anyone had any experience using fresh pumpkin instead of buying the canned stuff? Is it feasible or even worth it? It sounds like it could be a little more trouble than it's worth.

It's definitely feasable.

I've only ever used the canned pumpkin, which is quite good-no additives, just pumpkin.

If you're going to use fresh pumpkin, go for small, young ones. They are less fiberous.

I've tried it. It took a lot of work and the net product was weaker flavored than the canned stuff.

I used small pumpkins and roasted them in the oven. It might have been a bad year for pumpkins or I my technique might have been off, but it definitely wasn't worth it for me.

The flavor intensity of canned pumpkin seems to vary quite a bit from can to can, but, generally speaking, canned pumpkin was more strongly flavored than what I produced.

Hello Danni

I use fresh pumpkin, for everything, requiring pumpkin.
It is not too much trouble, for me. U peel and chop the pumpkin and cut into chunks. Bake the chunks in the oven, until soft. Then u mash, chop or puree the pumpkin, and add flavours, according to what u need.
The only real inconvenience is that you may find yourself, with more pumpkin, than u can use.

Mel

Made the pies once from fresh pumpkin and found the pies turned out exactly the same as those I made using the canned product. So that ended my experience with fresh pumpkin for pies.

Just my experience, others may be quite different.

I have used fresh pumpkin and it very good for pies. It's worth the effort if you have grown pumpkins and have alot. Other wise the canned stuff is the way to go.
For fresh I cut the pumpkins in half, scoop out seeds and set on a jellyroll pan cut side down and bake until tender at 350. Cool and then scoop out.Mash well and follow any pumpkin recipe.I freeze this also and have fresh pumpkin all winter.

As John Wayne would put, "Ah, Pilgrim, do it for the H*** of it just to say that you did it once-----it's fun and interesting to see what's involved and to really appreciate our ancestors-----I agree with the other postings, unless you're growing pumpkins on the side, the canned is every bit as good. But I don't want to discourage you from creating it from scratch the first time---it really is a gratifying experience. And do roast the pumpkin seeds if you have the time---they're delicious!!

I pretty much make everything I can from scratch but I was very disappointed in how my pie turned out when I made it with fresh pumpkin.

Canned for me from now on.

Canned or fresh pumpkin? As canned pumpkin is not available here, it's Hobson choice for me. I find that boiling (with little water until soften and the juice reduced) or steaming freshly peeled pumpkin and then mashing or blending it, the easiest and fastest way. For the balance of the pumpkin, I cut into thick pieces, with seeds and skin intact and refrigerate them. They can last a fairly long time in the fridge. Alternatively, I shred them and put them in bags to be used for pies. Pumpkin once frozen, sheds a lot of water making it impossible to grate.

The pumpkin that is in the can is not the pretty jack-o-lantern kind--those a really too watery to make good pie.

Try a butternut squash--it makes a sweet and flavorful pie, and the flesh is smooth and not stringy.

Do it do it do it do it!!! You'll be so happy with the results! The flavour is wonderful and the colour is brilliant.

When I was 12, I peeled it, cubed it and put the cubes into a pressure cooker. I never did it that way again.
Now, I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and then slowly roast it in the oven till it's soft enough to scoop out of the skin. When it's cool enough to handle, I put it into the food processor. After that, put it into a colander to get out the excess water. Use one with very small holes because you don't want to actually loose the flesh. You could skip the colander part and simply put it into a cheesecloth and wring it out.

After that, follow the recipe as you normally would. It freezes beautifully in ziploc bags that have had all the air removed. Freeze it in 1c portions.

do it do it do it!!!

I also use fresh pumpkin for cakes and pies, and works out great. Just squeeze out the excess liquid well, and since it contains a lot of liquid, you will need at least about 4-5 times as much of the raw pumpkin before cooking, for required amount at the end.

A few years ago in the States, I did a taste test with pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread. I baked sugar pumpkins for the scratch puree and used a quality canned puree and compared the two in the bread and pie recipes. Now, the foods we eat are whole-foods, nothing processed, nothing artificial, no colourings, etc, so this was a leap for me. I have to say that I found the rumours to be true... tinned (canned) pumpkin is better than scratch. This is probably the one product I use exclusively from the can as opposed to fresh. The great thing is that it is nothing but pumpkin. They don't add a thing to it. Of course, one can't get it in Germany, but it can be shipped from the States!:)

I made pies using my Halloween Jack-O-Lantern "guts" twice, & was disappointed in the results. Rather bland, & it took a lot of time to reduce the water in the pumpkin flesh. However, after reading all the above, I wish the recipe I was following had advised roasting the pumpkin rather than steaming it. That probably makes a big difference.

Anyway, these days I save the seeds for roasting & toss the scraped out "guts" outside for the deer, squirrels, & vultures. Yup, I did say vultures. It's pretty funny watching them all land & walk around in a circle around a pile of pumpkin innards - guess it looks like a dead animal to them when in flight.

I don't remember ever making pumkin or squash pie, but the " Southern cousin" to these is the sweet potato pie, which I've made many, many, many times.

They are all basically pretty much made the same way and fall in the Custard Pie catagory.

~Corey123.

I have tried both and honestly felt that the canned was better - a lot less work and a fuller tatse...But if you have the time go ahead and try it - we all have different tastes and you might like it better - You never know till you try - Good luck - let us know what you decide and how it went

I watched one of Michael Chiarello's shows where he was cooking with butternut squash, and he said that Libby's Pumpkin is actually butternut squash.
I can believe that. I grew my own pumpkins one year, the little sweet "pie pumpkins", and once I cooked the pumpkin down and canned it, the texture was fine, but it didn't have the beautiful color of the canned pumpkin.

Back
Top Bottom