"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 10-25-2006, 10:19 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Using Fresh Pumpkin for Pie

With Thanksgiving coming up next month I'm going to be baking some pumpkin pies for the family, and friends and was wondering if anyone had any experience using fresh pumpkin instead of buying the canned stuff? Is it feasible or even worth it? It sounds like it could be a little more trouble than it's worth.

A Recipe Resource The easiest way to store, share and find recipes online.
DanniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:27 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
It's definitely feasable.

I've only ever used the canned pumpkin, which is quite good-no additives, just pumpkin.

If you're going to use fresh pumpkin, go for small, young ones. They are less fiberous.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:13 AM   #3
Senior Cook
I've tried it. It took a lot of work and the net product was weaker flavored than the canned stuff.

I used small pumpkins and roasted them in the oven. It might have been a bad year for pumpkins or I my technique might have been off, but it definitely wasn't worth it for me.

The flavor intensity of canned pumpkin seems to vary quite a bit from can to can, but, generally speaking, canned pumpkin was more strongly flavored than what I produced.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:30 AM   #4
Sous Chef
Hello Danni

I use fresh pumpkin, for everything, requiring pumpkin.
It is not too much trouble, for me. U peel and chop the pumpkin and cut into chunks. Bake the chunks in the oven, until soft. Then u mash, chop or puree the pumpkin, and add flavours, according to what u need.
The only real inconvenience is that you may find yourself, with more pumpkin, than u can use.

Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:59 AM   #5
Head Chef
Made the pies once from fresh pumpkin and found the pies turned out exactly the same as those I made using the canned product. So that ended my experience with fresh pumpkin for pies.

Just my experience, others may be quite different.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:40 AM   #6
Head Chef
I have used fresh pumpkin and it very good for pies. It's worth the effort if you have grown pumpkins and have alot. Other wise the canned stuff is the way to go.
For fresh I cut the pumpkins in half, scoop out seeds and set on a jellyroll pan cut side down and bake until tender at 350. Cool and then scoop out.Mash well and follow any pumpkin recipe.I freeze this also and have fresh pumpkin all winter.
thumpershere2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:44 AM   #7
Master Chef
As John Wayne would put, "Ah, Pilgrim, do it for the H*** of it just to say that you did it once-----it's fun and interesting to see what's involved and to really appreciate our ancestors-----I agree with the other postings, unless you're growing pumpkins on the side, the canned is every bit as good. But I don't want to discourage you from creating it from scratch the first time---it really is a gratifying experience. And do roast the pumpkin seeds if you have the time---they're delicious!!
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:38 AM   #8
Master Chef
I pretty much make everything I can from scratch but I was very disappointed in how my pie turned out when I made it with fresh pumpkin.

Canned for me from now on.
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:45 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Canned or fresh pumpkin? As canned pumpkin is not available here, it's Hobson choice for me. I find that boiling (with little water until soften and the juice reduced) or steaming freshly peeled pumpkin and then mashing or blending it, the easiest and fastest way. For the balance of the pumpkin, I cut into thick pieces, with seeds and skin intact and refrigerate them. They can last a fairly long time in the fridge. Alternatively, I shred them and put them in bags to be used for pies. Pumpkin once frozen, sheds a lot of water making it impossible to grate.
boufa06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:25 PM   #10
Head Chef
The pumpkin that is in the can is not the pretty jack-o-lantern kind--those a really too watery to make good pie.

Try a butternut squash--it makes a sweet and flavorful pie, and the flesh is smooth and not stringy.

I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote