Using herbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
perpetual said:
... Is rosemary ok in lasagna?

If you're just winging it and don't really understant the flavors ... looking in the cabinet to see what you have that you can throw into the pot ... I wouldn't.

I love rosemary with chicken, pork and lamb ... but I don't think I would ever use it in lasagna.

Were you hiding in the kitchen? Yep that's how it happened. No rosemary in lasagna then. Thank you!! :)

I'm careful with rosemary. It can be medicinal and pine-y when over-used (I once bought a rosemary Christmas tree when we were living in a travel trailer, during our on-the-road years and it became close to unbearable after awhile!) I use a lot of sage and thyme (great with poultry, pork and fish). I Basil and cilantro I only use in the seasons when I can grow it, because I find the dried rather flavorless. Parsley is good in everything. And I know you'll see on TV and read that you should only use the flat-leaf variety. But if what grows best in your area is the curly (I've lived lots of places where that grew best), then don't give it up, it is still yummy, if not as strong, and it is so pretty on a plate. I grew up with the curly, and we learned as kids to nibble on it after a meal to freshen your breath (in Germany). Breezy, I've wanted to try grilling trout stuffed with fresh sage, it sounds so good, but it seems I can't get the trout when my sage is going good (no, I do not fish). There are a lot of herbs in the world, but those are my favorites.

Back
Top Bottom