Using potato starch instead of corn starch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcgator

Cook
I am trying a recipe for Pan di Spagna that calls for potato starch in equal amounts to regular flour. Could I replace potato starch with other starches? Rice, corn starch? The claim is that it softens the cake because of lower gluten content.

spork said:
I'm not familiar with exactly what you're baking, but tapioca flour or kudzu starch might be a better sub for potato starch.

Huh. Kudzu starch. I had to look it up, and it IS from the plant that ate the South. Apparently you can eat the whole thing, as it's a member of the pea family.

The things you learn on DC!

Last edited:
In Pan di Spagna, you can substitute cornstarch for the potato starch. It's approximately the same.

1. Potato starch is the starch extracted from potato: potato flour is cooked, dried & powdered potato. The starch is tasteless, the flour tastes like potato ..

2. tapioca starch is not a good choice: it is a lot more glutinous[sticky] than the other two starches. In GF baking it is used as a binder ...

3. I'm not familiar with Kudzu starch - but the Kudzu is a weed and a huge problem outside Japan ..

Huh. Kudzu starch. I had to look it up, and it IS from the plant that ate the South. Apparently you can eat the whole thing, as it's a member of the pea family.

The things you learn on DC!

What is more funny, or strange, in the US it is a horribly invasive species, but in its native Asia, it just stays put and is a nice ornamental.

TATTRAT said:
What is more funny, or strange, in the US it is a horribly invasive species, but in its native Asia, it just stays put and is a nice ornamental.

Have you tried it, Tat? There would be something quite satisfying about eating it. Kinda the plant version of Lionfish.

Have you tried it, Tat? There would be something quite satisfying about eating it. Kinda the plant version of Lionfish.

By lionfish, do you mean snakehead?

I have seen the shoots of kudzo in markets, have used the "flour" but find it more gummy than anything. It tastes kinda like snow peas if I had to peg it down.

Snakehead is another extremely invasive species that if people got turned on to, would be selling for $30 an entree in restaurants all over. . .but that is for another thread.

TATTRAT said:
By lionfish, do you mean snakehead?

I have seen the shoots of kudzo in markets, have used the "flour" but find it more gummy than anything. It tastes kinda like snow peas if I had to peg it down.

Snakehead is another extremely invasive species that if people got turned on to, would be selling for $30 an entree in restaurants all over. . .but that is for another thread.

Lionfish is the gorgeous black and white aquarium fish with poisonous spines, an import that escaped after a Florida hurricane, and is now all over the Carribbean, eating everything in sight. They too are delicious.http://snre.umich.edu/postcards/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/lionfish-1.jpg

Last edited:
TATTRAT said:
Oh, OK, I got ya now. I had no idea they had been going crazy down there! Beautiful fish, had no idea they were delicious too!!

Cozumel, for one island, has been hosting lionfish hunts. Divemasters and specially licensed divers spear them and feed 'em to the morays and any other critter, including local restaurants. It's sad that their population has exploded, and they have decimated a lot of the native fish.

Need gloves to get rid of the spines, then they taste like a very mild fish. Make a nice ceviche too.

I, too, was surprised to hear very recently on NPR that the lionfish is being heavily marketed and promoted in the Caribbeans as a delicious fish (in the hope that consumption demand might put a dent in their invasive population). With a warning from the waiter about its spines, I'd like to try one served whole.

spork said:
I, too, was surprised to hear very recently on NPR that the lionfish is being heavily marketed and promoted in the Caribbeans as a delicious fish (in the hope that consumption demand might put a dent in their invasive population). With a warning from the waiter about its spines, I'd like to try one served whole.

The spines would be removed, probably with gloves and scissors. They couldn't serve them otherwise. I will try to find a link to the recipes and hunt. People rave about how good they taste!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom