Vacuum sealers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm thinking I should invest in a good vacuum sealer. I'm single w a dog. My dog doesn't get much off the table. She's gets a taste, but that's about it. So, I tend to have many leftovers that unfortunately don't get eaten.

How much better is it to vacuum seal something vs just putting it in a ziplock and into the freezer? Does it keep longer and by how much if it does? Does it keep freezer burn off?

Any info or tricks to using one would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have opinions on certain sealers?

A VS is a good investement if you freeze foods for longer. If You're freezing leftovers for a few days or a week it probably doesn't make much of a difference. If you're freezing meats, meals, etc. for what may be months, a VS is a definite benefit. I have defrosted a piece of meat that was in the freezer for about a year and it looked like I just bought it.

I bought a VS at a thrift store for $2.00. It's an ancient model but it still works. I buy off-brand rolls of bags at Walmart and I'm a happy camper.

If you're into or contemplating sous vide, a VS is a big plus. Whil you can get by without one, it makes life better.

When my VS dies, I will replace it with a very basic FoodSaver brand machine. I have no use for the extra bells and whistles (especially the whistles! ;-)) )

Last edited:
I have one, but it's primary use is for vacuum sealing containers for flour, brown sugar, and other dry goods, as well as wine (which it is great for). As for VS freezer bags, I rarely use it as I don't freeze stuff that long (and ziplocks/tupperware work fine).

I had a Foodsaver that lasted over 15 years, before it bit the dust, but I got so much use out of it, it didn't owe me anything! It had saved me a lot, through the years, between the frozen items, and the dry things, like teas, spices, and grains, that I also keep in vacuum bags. I quickly got a new one, which I have now. This one have some additional features - faster, and able to seal wetter bags, mainly the blood in meat, but also the moisture in vegetables. However, I usually freeze things like that until crystallized, but not entirely frozen, then seal them - they are still flexible this way, and almost all of the air is sucked out of them.

You definitely want to get a good model - cheap ones often require you to hold the door down while sealing, and the seal is sometimes narrower, and can break apart.

I use rolls of the plastic more than bags - much cheaper this way, and I can cut to size. The 6" and 8" rolls I use the most, but the 12" I occasionally use for the large things. This model has a cavity that a roll can be stored in, and a cutter, to make it easy to cut to size.
Well used Foodsaver, Gamesaver Deluxe Plus by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Closer up of the Foodsaver settings. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Opened Foodsaver, showing cutter and storage sector for the roll. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The Foodsavers I've had also have had a gadget to vacuum seal large and small mouthed mason jars - something that I do with some things that I don't use very often. This is also the thing that vacuum seals opened wine bottles. The absence of oxygen helps them last much longer. This photo shows the shelf I slide the Foodsaver under, when not using it - something that keeps it easy to use, with things stored above it, and the mason jar sealer in front.
Foodsaver, in storage area, under simple shelf, with mason jar vacuum tool in front. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I use this for all meats, and some vegetables. I also use it for some dry goods, such as spices, tea, grains, and legumes, when I buy large amounts of things, when I get a good deal. Some things stay good vacuum sealed at room temp.; some, like cracked wheat, freekeh, brown rice, and millet, I have found still need to be frozen - otherwise, they go rancid, unless used quickly, esp. in the summer. So I store these in 3 cup vacuum sealed packs, and have 3 cup jars I refill, as needed. The larger quantities of things, like the 8 lb bags of various legumes I get from the Indian market, I'll fill the larger jars in the pantry, then vacuum seal a large bag, and refill the jars, and re-seal the bag, as needed.

When I first got a Foodsaver, I tested the plastic for how permeable it was for aromas, by sealing some minced onion and garlic in some. In a few days, it was fermenting, and swelling up, but there was still no onion or garlic aroma! This does not happen in ziplocs, or other plastic bags - a mason jar will seal, but plastic containers usually leak some of those potent aromas eventually. Peppers are another one of those aromas that tends to permeate other foods, and totally fill up the freezer. Oh yeah - that's another thing that I vacuum seal: butter. Butter is one of those things that keeps much better, as it is isolated from oxygen, and those aromas it easily picks up. When it is on sale with coupons, I stock up on it!

And after these dry things, the bags are re-useable - they just get shorter each time.

strmanglr scott said:
I'm thinking I should invest in a good vacuum sealer. I'm single w a dog.
I'm sorta single with two goldfish and I've got my eye on the Nesco VS-02 and VS-12.
Vacuum sealers seem to be considered adjunct appliances to the sous vide cultists and I'm embarrassed to admit buying a sous vide set up during the Thanksgiving sales.

BTW... if you're serious about sealing in bags/rolls, consider a larger and much more expensive chamber vacuum sealer. It does a better job (especially with liquids), and will pay for itself surprisingly fast given the cost of the bags.

I'm sorta single with two goldfish and I've got my eye on the Nesco VS-02 and VS-12.
Vacuum sealers seem to be considered adjunct appliances to the sous vide cultists and I'm embarrassed to admit buying a sous vide set up during the Thanksgiving sales.

Embarrassed? Why is that? You'll have a great time with it but I get along fine without a Sealer for mine with the water displacement method and heavy zip bags.

I like your storage set up Pepperhead..handy, and kept ready to use. I wish I had the space. If it was stored, I know I wouldn't use it.

This photo shows the shelf I slide the Foodsaver under, when not using it - something that keeps it easy to use, with things stored above it, and the mason jar sealer in front.

BTW... if you're serious about sealing in bags/rolls, consider a larger and much more expensive chamber vacuum sealer. It does a better job (especially with liquids), and will pay for itself surprisingly fast given the cost of the bags.

How do they save you money on bags?

Chamber sealers appear to be more expensive and significantly larger than Foodsaver style machines. Having a small kitchen and a small budget, that wouldn't work for me.

Reading about these things, especially in Amazon user reviews, I see lots of complaints about food ruined because imperfect seals caused freezer burn. It seems to be prevalent across all make and models. Not sure what to think about that.

Thanks for all the responses.

Wonder how much of this can be attributed to user error?
Reading about these things, especially in Amazon user reviews, I see lots of complaints about food ruined because imperfect seals caused freezer burn. It seems to be prevalent across all make and models. Not sure what to think about that.

Thanks for all the responses.

Wonder how much of this can be attributed to user error?

When using a FS, you know right away if you got a good vacuum and seal. With my model, it won't stop the vacuuming and seal the bag if a complete vacuum isn't obtained. So you have to be sure there is no liquid interfering with the process. I've never lost a vacuum in the freezer.

Chamber sealers appear to be more expensive and significantly larger than Foodsaver style machines. Having a small kitchen and a small budget, that wouldn't work for me.

My thoughts exactly. I looked into them way back, when I got my first Foodsaver, and the cheapest one was just under $700.00! The price has come down some, but they are still far more than the better Foodsavers. The size was also prohibitive - it would be like putting a microwave on the counter, and not the kind of thing you want to be putting away, in between uses, as you would end up not using it much.

BTW, unlike that video states, you don't waste 1 1/2" of the Foodsaver roll on each end! About 1/4" on the first end, and about 3/4" on the end when doing the vac seal. And buying a case of the rolls is far cheaper than buying one at a time!

I don't have many seals fail - usually, only after re-sealing them a number of times. You have to be careful about bones, but that's true with any bags

Back
Top Bottom