"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Veal Chop

so as a celebration for doing a good job at work, the wife and i will be going to a high end steak house tomorrow.....when we normally go out, it tends to be on the cheap side (which i enjoy plenty!), and i really want to enjoy my meal since this will be a rare occasion

so, when at a steak house, i would normally go for a sirloin, or the filet, or something else that you know is good....but the place im going to has a veal chop that im tempted to get....never ordered one before....can people comment on how these usually are, especially compared to a steak? do they cook it to order?

so im stuck between getting something i know is good, but rather ordinary, or doing something different (yeah, i know its not THAT different, but still...)

Old 06-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Veal chops are cooked to order. Veal does not have a strong flavor like beef so most of the flavor will come from any marinades, rubs and sauces that may be part of the dish.

It can be a very tasty dish and is worth a try. I know, it's an expensive experiment, but it's always good to try something different and expand your horizons.

I aim to order different foods when I go out so I can experience different things. I see little point in paying a restaurant for food I cook at home. Not every single time I go out but, often.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I personally love veal chops, but as Andy M said, they're not as strong and the flavor will come from something else. Read the description of what is on it, what it's served with, etc to see if you like what it's spiced with, marinated in, etc.

But something my DW said her father used to say, "Why would you go to a Steak House and order chicken?" In a way it makes a lot of sense, especially since this is such a treat for you. They specialize in steaks, otherwise it would be a Veal Chophouse :)
Old 06-04-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Master Chef

i say try it!
Old 06-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
Senior Cook

thanks for the advice everyone

i dont think im straying very far from "steak" by ordering a chop (still the same animal, afterall), but i agree that ordering something like chicken or pasta would be a waste of my time

i would also hope that any place that charges $40-$50+ for a single steak/chop (without any sort of side) would make sure its good

i think i might go for the chop, but its still tough - i do really enjoy a steak, and this is a chance to get a great one....but, as someone else said, why order something that i can make almost as well at home

im just looking forward to a good dinner, no matter what i get
Old 06-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Veal chops can be quite tasty but I've only had them in Italian restaurants.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
thanks for the advice everyone

i dont think im straying very far from "steak" by ordering a chop (still the same animal, afterall), but i agree that ordering something like chicken or pasta would be a waste of my time

i would also hope that any place that charges $40-$50+ for a single steak/chop (without any sort of side) would make sure its good

i think i might go for the chop, but its still tough - i do really enjoy a steak, and this is a chance to get a great one....but, as someone else said, why order something that i can make almost as well at home

im just looking forward to a good dinner, no matter what i get

Now that we've given you our advice. Go to the restaurant, look at the menu and let your impulses decide for you.