Vegetarian BBQ dishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carlos75

Assistant Cook
I have a lots of recipes for meat dishes but what I am looking for is some great vegetarian dishes to cook on the BBQ for the veggies but will also appeal to the meaties as well. Anyone got any ideas?

We grill veggies regularly - portobello mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes. You could also do eggplant, brussel sprouts, potatoes, and more.

Try "Gimme Lean Sausage" by Smartlife(?). It's vegan and yummy. My son-in-law marinates it in horseradish first and then grills it...but I've never tasted it that way. My daughter loves loves loves it. Also, Amy's brand "American Veggie Burgers". They're so good I'm addicted to them and I'm not even a vegetarian.

We grill veggies regularly - portobello mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes. You could also do eggplant, brussel sprouts, potatoes, and more.

Mmmm I love portobello mushrooms - do you just put them straight on or do you oil them first?

Never thought of eggplant (or aubergine as we call them over here in the UK) - how do you bbq them, whole or should they be cut up? :chef:

I spray the mushrooms with oil and season with salt and pepper or seasoned salt. I halve the zucchini (courgette?) lengthwise, oil and season. For large eggplant, slice inch thick round slices. Smaller ones can just be halved or done whole.

Portobello mushrooms (& courgettes & aubergines) are also terrific marinated first in your favorite Italian-style salad dressing before grilling.

Grilled eggplant:

Slice into thick rounds (1 inch) and brush with garlic infused olive oil or pesto.
Grill (turning as needed) until eggplant is browned and cooked fully.
Top each slice of eggplant with a slice of fresh tomato (or a spoon of tomato sauce), chopped fresh basil, cracked black pepper, and a slice of mozzerella. Close lid on grill for a minute and melt cheese. Serve with salad and bread. Yum

Grill some eggplant, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, zucchini. Cut them up into small pieces ( not too small) and mix them into pasta with garlic and oil ( and salt/ pepper)

Simple, but goes ever time.

What about kebabs(the skewered type) made with various vegetables and Houlimi(not sure about spelling) cheese. Houlimi chease doesnt melt when heated, like other cheeses do.

You could make a sauce to serve the kebabs with, made from lemon, olive oil, salt and sugar. Or else, you could use this sauce as a marinade for the kebabs, before you BBQ them.

Mel:chef:

I'm a vegetarian and LOVE to have fresh veggies on the grill. My favorites are red bell peppers, red onions, shiitake mushrooms, and asparagus. Marinate with a little olive oil, balasmic vinegar, and garlic.

Super quick and everyone loves it.

grilled lettuce is awesome....hearts of romaine do very well, and then tear up in a salad the slight char and smoke flavor adds to many salads...top with grilled veggies and a warm vinaigrette or a grilled corn salsa!

What about kebabs(the skewered type) made with various vegetables and Houlimi(not sure about spelling) cheese. Houlimi chease doesnt melt when heated, like other cheeses do.

Halloumi cheese does melt, but it browns and holds its shape. that sounds like a great idea, although many vegetarians don't eat cheese.

Hmmm firm tofu could be subbed in the kebabs, though.

Oh, dearie me. All of these ideas are great. I slice my zucchini and eggplant (courgettes and aubergines) lengthwise, very thickly. Brush with olive oil and season with my favorite garlic blend salt. I grew up eating onions, sliced and with a cube of butter (preferably frozen) and S&P, wrapped in foil. Various other veggies really take to these treatments. I do them as a side to the meat, but in fact, when we were on the road, I'd do the veggies first, and old guys who I think would be apalled at the word "vegetarian" would stop and ask me what I was cooking. The meat was still in the fridge, marinading, it was the aroma of the veggies that got everyone in the campground's salivary glands working overtime. To turn potatoes into a good starch, nuke them until hot, but not quite cooked (this is impossible to predict, microwave ovens are very different in power). Then either put in foil with onions and S&P, or if small reds, just roll in a little olive oil, then put on the grill until browned and tender. Winter squashes: Pierce several times after washing, then grill until almost black on all sides. Remove when almost black (dark brown) all around. put on the counter while you deal with the rest of the meal. Then halve, scoop out seeds, then scoop the flesh into a bowl. Add what you like (I personally like butter or olive oil, and either garlic seasoning or just S&P, but many would toss in a spoon of brown sugar, maple syrup, or a touch of molassas. I find winter squash sweet enough as it is.) Spaghetti squash really works well this way, just treat it as you would any pasta.

Big mushrooms are great grilled on one side, with some cheese, stuffing mix, or whatever filling it. Grill on the hollow side, turn over, and spoon in the stuffing. Both portabellas and large regular mushrooms do well with this treatment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom