Vegetarian Pepperoni?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Cottrell

Head Chef
Is there such a thing as vegetarian pepperoni that would hold up in a soup? I read a recipe the other day of borsch (beet soup) made vegeterian style but using a vegetarian pepperoni. I though it might be worth including in the little collection I have in Books by Volunteers who serve Ukraine Orphans eventhough it would be far from "authentic". What would I look for at say a Krogers or Meijers or WallMart? Or where would I look? :ermm: Thanks

There is such a thing as vegetarian pepperoni, although I've never tasted it. (I prefer turkey pepperoni myself.)

It's put out by "Smart Deli", & is not only vegetarian, but vegan as well. Most major supermarkets carry some of the "Smart Deli" products (there are quite a few), normally found in the produce section or wherever they have their refrigerated tofu & such. Your best bet may be a place like Whole Foods/Fresh Fields, or some other upscale place that caters to natural foods, although our Wal-Mart here does carry a number of Smart Deli products as well. You'll probably just have to search around.

Do keep in mind that there are many perfectly authentic variations of borsch that naturally contain no meat at all. Perhaps you'd be better off researching some of those.

(P.S. My husband is Ukrainian, & he's absolutely positively hated borsch - meatless or not - his entire life, especially as a child. Maybe you should think about some other recipe :LOL:.)

Last edited:
Meat or no Meat is the question.

Thanks BreezyCook and SurvivorGirl, I guess I had better try it. Actually I have two very good meatless borsch recipes on Books by Volunteers who serve Ukraine Orphans which I have made. This vegetarian pepperoni seemed to be so different I thought it might just right for some. Meat or no meat is ok with me but not ok for some I guess. All the best to your husband BreezyCook! :chef:

Vegetarian Pepperoni

Thanks BreezyCook and SurvivorGirl, I guess I had better try it. Actually I have two very good meatless borsch recipes on Books by Volunteers who serve Ukraine Orphans which I have made. This vegetarian pepperoni seemed to be so different I thought it might just right for some. Meat or no meat is ok with me but not ok for some I guess. All the best to your husband BreezyCook! :chef:

Just to say belated thank you to BreezyCook and SurvivorGirl:). I found vegetarian pepperoni at Krogers just where you said it would be - I've only walked passed it hundreds and hundreds of times. Bought some vegetarian hot dogs also - looks like I'm ready to cook! With apologies to CharliD - I know this isn't authentic:ohmy::ermm:!

Thanks for the help

I did take the given borsch recipe, added some veggie hotdogs with the veggie pepperoni, modified preparation and came up with what I believe is an agreeable borsch for those who don't eat meat but want some replica of the taste. It's really decent and I'm not a vegetarian. The recipe and method is on Books by Volunteers who serve Ukraine Orphans in the World's Best Borsch tab.

This thread should go to soups subject but I have no idea how that might be done.:wacko: Any help administrators? :rolleyes::ermm:

Back
Top Bottom