"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Very confused about getting medium rare ...

I was researching and found out that meat such as roast b eef would be med-rare at 125 in the thickest part of the center, and others say 130-135. I'm confused. I do understand that letting the meat rest would allow for proper distribution of juices but I also heard that it would continue to cook by 5-10 degrees. So the question is: when exactly do I stop the cooking process?

Some recipes suggest using foil to tent the meat in letting it rest, but wouldn't that increase the capability of the internal temp to raise above and beyong 10 degrees? Since all the heat is so concentrated with the foil?
What do you all think would be the proper internal temp to take off before resting, and how long should I rest? Should I use foil? Would it effect my resting time?
-Kevin

Old 05-07-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to georgia_girl87
If you try the foil, dont completely close it around the meat, that way steam and such can escape. I've never tried making roast beef other than in a crock-pot so I dont know how helpful that is haha. Good luck though!! Sorry I cant be more help :(

Old 05-08-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
Master Chef

It's called carry-over cooking time.

Take your meat out when it's 5-10 degrees below your desired temp and tentbit and let it rest for 10 min
Old 05-08-2011, 02:58 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

good question, kook.

a foil tent eventually helps hold in heat, but it also sinks some away. like georgia girl said, tent loosely and a few degrees earlier than the cut of meat you're cooking (and if it's bone-in our out) says is medium rare.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

The other tip, make sure everyone is ready to eat. I made a lamb roast and a beef roast while I was at my folks. We like our meat med-rare. I timed it perfectly, had it tented, and my father disappeared. Too bad, his plate went back in the oven (warm) both nights (he had to feed the birds...and get the mail because he'd forgotten...he's 80 but he complains when his meat is over cooked). By the time he came to the table, his meat was medium. Too bad.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
Master Chef

All good advice above. To add further to the the confusion, people have different ideas about what medium rare looks like, from slightly pink, to med. pink, to bright pink. Personally, I want mine rare red, just this side of purple raw. That being said, I take a prime rib out at 120 degrees, and rest tented for 20 minutes.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
You can't roast beef in a crockpot. It stews the meat.

I pull beef out at 125, because the temperature will rise as much as 12 degrees while the meat is resting, and I like it rare/med-rare.

Using a digital probe thermometer set for the temperature is by far the most accurate way of ensuring you cook meat to the temperature you really want it.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
All good advice above. To add further to the the confusion, people have different ideas about what medium rare looks like, from slightly pink, to med. pink, to bright pink. Personally, I want mine rare red, just this side of purple raw. That being said, I take a prime rib out at 120 degrees, and rest tented for 20 minutes.
I finally wised up so that when I eat out, I order my steak rare, red, NOT purple.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I finally wised up so that when I eat out, I order my steak rare, red, NOT purple.
Unless I know it's a restaurant that gets it right, I usually ask for mine underdone. You can always get it cooked more, but they can't uncook it.

Unfortunately, I seldom have a reason to ask for it to be cooked some more.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
Master Chef

I hate it when I'm doing a roast and half of my family want their's well done. I usually trim their portions and throw them back on the grill til they're charred and destroyed.....that's what they want.