"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-25-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Vidalia onion question

The Vidalias finally found their way into my grocery store. I picked up a couple good sized ones a few days ago. For the first time though, they aren't near as sweet tasting and they have a purplish color to the first few outer layers, at least the one I have used so far. The outside skin and shape is Vidalia all the way.
Has anyone ever ran into this before? I'm wondering if I picked out a couple of "imposters" that found their way into the wrong bin. They do not have the Vidalia sticker on them either and I seem to remember Vidalia onions always having this sticker, but haven't been back into town yet to look.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I just bought some the other day, and they did have the sticker on them. They were as good as always. I wait for them every year - wish their season was longer.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
Master Chef

I too picked up some Vidalia's this past weekend. While I don't recall stickers, they were good & sweet as usual. I've never come across any that had purplish outer layers - even the "baby" ones one of the markets here sells as "baby salad Vidalias" don't have any purple to them.

I'm thinking you accidentally got a few rogues of another variety.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
Master Chef

Gee, Picanis, hope that you didn't pick up any imposters---take them back if you haven't cut them already and see what they say. Our local newspaper said that if you wanted to preserve them for a long time to wrap them in foil and store in the refrigerator and that they'd last a long time (several months) tried it and they did keep for a long while. I read this article several years ago. Hope that you have the real McCoys, however.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah, I bet I got some rogues, too. Nothing to get upset about as I only bought two, but I'll have to pay closer attention next time.

The foil and refridgerator trick sounds good. You can never have enough Vidalias on hand. I had heard that dropping them in a nylon stocking, tying a knot between each one to keep them separated and hanging in a basement will extend their storage time, too. Just cut off as needed.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
Master Chef

With Vidalias it's probably best to buy them as you need them. Onion varieties are divided into different types, & Vidalias fall into the category earmarked for fresh use rather than storage.

True storage types will have a much heavier layer of protective papery skin that covers the onion completely. Vidalias - & other onions meant for fresh use - are practically buck-naked by comparison - lol!! Thus, they will tend to shrivel/rot/mold much faster if kept for any real length of time.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:34 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I have better luck keeping them if I hang them instead of storing where they touch each other..Air circulating around helps keep them dry. I use and old pair of clean panty hose, put one in tie a knot several inchs above the onion so the next onion I put in doesn't touch, tie again til all are snug and hang in the garage..Of course they don't last long as we all love them..I just start at the bottom and cut off the one I want and the others stay in place.

kadesma
Old 04-26-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Kades
My dad would do the same panty hose thing for his Vidalias.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:03 AM   #9
Senior Cook

I use nothing but sweet onions for cooking. When Vidalias are not in season I get Texas Sweets, Maui Sweets or Oso Sweets. But the Vidalia is without a doubt the best onion on the market. I don't ever recall seeing a Vidalia with purple skin so you may have picked up a "wanderer." Some markets will call a sweet onion Vidalia, so be careful. I look for the sticker, it HAS to say Vidalia. Period. Great eating on sandwiches too.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Kades
My dad would do the same panty hose thing for his Vidalias.
JP,
I learned this trick from my dad. He never had vidalias til I got some and served them to him. He did plant his own onions usually stockton reds and would hang them like this to dry..I remember one time my mom nearly had his head because he took the brand new pair she was planning to use for a wedding and there in the garage they hung with onions in their glory

kades