Vidalia Onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think I've ever had a Vidalia onion before. They sure sound good. They probably have them down in the city at places like Sprouts or Whole Foods, but I've never seen them here in my small town.

Some of the farmers around here grow and sell "Candy" onions, they're sweet and very good. But probably nothing like a true Vidalia.

Last edited:
I have two large Vidalia onions that I need to use real soon. I am going to slice them and place in the freezer in one cup increments. I finished my monthly shopping today. Good Grief!!! You should see my freezer. Until I use something up in there, I will have no room for the onions. I did have to take out the two ice cube trays. :angel:

I got to them just in time. I found a very small spot on one of the onions. Cut it out and proceeded to slice them lengthwise and bagged them. :angel:

I like Vidalias but prefer Walla Walla Sweets (very similar). I find that none of these high moisture content onions (there are several varieties) store well and so I usually keep em in the fridge until use.

We often slice them in half (crossways) and grill them. They are yummy after they have softened up and caramelized. A half a grilled onion served on top of a grilled steak is a super substitute for fried onions and a lot lower calorie also no pan to clean ;). Be sire to stick a toothpick or skewer through the onion half to keep it from falling apart as it cooks.

This place place makes the best onion rings ever...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GjHPsc_LXE

I don't think I've ever had a Vidalia onion before. They sure sound good. They probably have them down in the city at places like Sprouts or Whole Foods, but I've never seen them here in my small town.

Some of the farmers around here grow and sell "Candy" onions, they're sweet and very good. But probably nothing like a true Vidalia.
I bet the "Candy" onions are great in their own, sweet way. The name "Vidalia" is proprietary - only onions grown in a certain region in Georgia can carry the "Vidalia" name. There are all types of sweet onions (Oso Sweet, Walla-Walla, I remember one called Texas Super-Sweet but haven't seen it in a while) but you can't call it a Vidalia unless it's grown in certain counties in Georgia. Unless they relaxed the rules in the last couple of years.

Actually, I doubt if I'll buy them again. The flavor was just too delicate for my purposes. I tried them in several dishes I frequently make and they were just okay, but nothing special, and in at least one case (Onion Soup) they were just not as good.

This experience made me appreciate the value of regular old yellow onions.

Back
Top Bottom