"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
There's an idea, Barb. Does the smell go away when you dry the window?
I actually use a combo of water, white vinegar and lemon juice in a spray bottle as an all-purpose cleaner in the kitchen.

I like to soak sliced cucumbers in vinegar for an hour or so for a snack or side with dinner. You can also make a cuke salad with sour cream, vinegar, dill, S&P.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
Here's information about the various vinegars that is helpful:

Vinegar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For those that believe that anything with vinegar in it does not require refrigeration, like pickled eggs, I would encourage they keep their health/life insurance in full force.
I refrigerate foods with vinegar in them, but not the vinegar itself.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I like making cucumber & onion salads using 1/2 mayo and 1/2 sour cream, but a couple of times/year I will use 1/2 cider vinegar and 1/2 water with some ice cubes. I guess I am due for experimenting using the others.
I also love the cider vinegar on french fries, but according to that Wiki report the cider vinegar can cause burns.... hmmm. I pour it on and never suffered a burn when I ate it.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:31 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
I also love the cider vinegar on french fries, but according to that Wiki report the cider vinegar can cause burns.... hmmm. I pour it on and never suffered a burn when I ate it.
Burns? Huh?

Try malt vinegar on your chips sometimes. That's the traditional way.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #15
Master Chef

malt vinegar and fries---yum!!
Old 05-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #16
Master Chef

Site Moderator

White Vinegar is used in canning/pickeling because of the higher acidity level. It is also used as a cleaner. Cider vinegar is used more for cooking. You cannot always use them interchangebly in canning/pickleing. Wine/fruit vinegars can usually be used interchangebly in cooking in may cases but the resulting flavor may be different.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Burns? Huh?

Try malt vinegar on your chips sometimes. That's the traditional way.
From wiki:

Apple cider
Apple cider vinegar, otherwise known simply as cider vinegar, is made from cider or apple must, and is often sold unfiltered, with a brownish-yellow color; it often contains mother of vinegar. It is very popular, partly due to its beneficial health and beauty properties. Due to its acidity, apple cider vinegar can be very harsh, even burning the throat. If taken straight (as opposed to usage in cooking), it should be diluted (e.g. with fruit juice) before drinking.[3] Others dilute it with warm water and add some honey.[4] There have been reports of acid chemical burns of the throat in using the pill form."

It has never tasted harsh to me or burned my throat. And while putting it on FFs may heat it up some, I wouldn't consider that cooking with it

And getting malt vinegar is on my list

"
Old 05-14-2008, 06:55 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I use all of the above for various things, but use white for more than just food.
I put it in the wash to get out any soap residue, and once in a while take all the shower heads and faucet ends off and put in a pail to get the calcium deposits off. I've poured it on stubborn weeds to kill them and on ant holes
too. If I don't have lemon, I use it in a pyrex cup with water in the microwave to neutralize popcorn smell. And in a spray bottle with water to use on my glass sliding doors and car windows for where the dogs nose has streaked them. - I don't want to use chemicals where he'll be.
My MIL used to peel and cut her potatoes for mashed ahead of time for a big family gathering, put them in a pot of water with alittle white v. and the potatoes wouldn't turn brown. Then rise out before cooking and use just water to boil.
I love the stuff.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:11 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Vinegar is an acid and even at 5% acidity it can cause problems in certain circumstances at full strength. Most uses however are diluted with water or something else.

I "drink" apple cider vinegar with water every day. I also rinse my hair daily with a vinegar/water solution and also use it to keep my skin soft and beautiful (I'm a guy so no flowery lotions for me) after working in the garage or yard.

Good stuff and yes the smell goes away in a matter of minutes.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Big vinegar users here. I have a horizontal wine rack on top of a cabinet that I store all our different vinegars on. Saved interestingly-shaped wine bottles and transferred my vinegar to them. Currently I have red wine, tarragon, malt, cider, white wine, white distilled, balsamic, rice wine vinegar. They all have their purpose in our house.

I especially like to dip fresh strawberries in good balsamic vinegar. Yum.

I've never refrigerated vinegar.