"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-15-2008, 01:56 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
I use all of the above for various things, but use white for more than just food.
I put it in the wash to get out any soap residue, and once in a while take all the shower heads and faucet ends off and put in a pail to get the calcium deposits off. I've poured it on stubborn weeds to kill them and on ant holes
too. If I don't have lemon, I use it in a pyrex cup with water in the microwave to neutralize popcorn smell. And in a spray bottle with water to use on my glass sliding doors and car windows for where the dogs nose has streaked them. - I don't want to use chemicals where he'll be.
My MIL used to peel and cut her potatoes for mashed ahead of time for a big family gathering, put them in a pot of water with alittle white v. and the potatoes wouldn't turn brown. Then rise out before cooking and use just water to boil.
I love the stuff.
Does it really get soap residue out of the washer and get rid of calcium deposits? How do you do it? How much do you use?

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Well, I claim no vinegar brilliance, but I always use a rice vinegar because it gets the job done and isn't harsh in flavor. But, that's just me.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
Actually that is a total MYTH. Sure, there's potassium in it, but potassium is also the predominant nutrient in almost all fruits and vegetables, from avocado--which offers twice the potassium of a banana--to zucchini. Also, bananas are high in sugar and best avoided if you have blood sugar problems. Or at least don't eat bananas on an empty stomach.

As for the vinegar, its an acquired taste, but the benefits are enormous.
I never suggested in my post that bananas were the only fruit or vegetable that contained potassium, just that they were a better tasting alternative than vinegar IN MY OPINION.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #34
Executive Chef

I have a scooba floor cleaner that can use an expensive scooba cleaning solution, or white vinegar. I've used both solutions and prefer the white vinegar.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

SO uses white vinegar in the washer to prevent/remove perspiration stains.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:37 PM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post
Does it really get soap residue out of the washer and get rid of calcium deposits? How do you do it? How much do you use?
Yup. About 1/4 cup in the rinse cycle is sufficient, but if you have a front loader it may foam since some of those washers do things differently. Some use up to 1/2 cup.

If you want to clean your washer, pour a gallon of distilled vinegar into your washer and using warm water let your machine run through a wash and rinse cycle. The vinegar will cut through built up soap residue in hoses etc. Leaving your washer sparkling clean. This will also breakdown rust, and keep the musty smell of water under control.

Use it to clean the stains and build up in your coffee maker. I keep a spray bottle of vinegar/water (75/25) to spray down the faucets and counter to reduce build up and it also disinfects 99.9%.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
We use tons of white vinegar. If you can make bombs with it I'm gonna get followed home by the FBI or Homeland Security from WalMart some day...... ...

You are corect on that one. So be careful.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #38
Executive Chef

B'sgirl, yes it does get residue out of clothes. I put about a cup in extra large rinse cycle. And AndyM's idea too about persperation and FOOT ODOR, also. But I haven't had to deal with that since my divorce in '89. YEH!!! (Men and their...oh, never mind. Heh,heh)
And mcnerd's idea too, for the coffee pot. Mine's overdue. Thanks mcnerd. Add it to my list. I do about a 1/2 cup to a full pot of water and run it through. Then I run at least 3 just water cycles after to make sure my next pot of coffee tastes like coffee. I've been using purified water for my coffee for awhile though, 'cause our water from time to time tastes like chlorine so bad, and the pot doesn't get so cruddy, and the "joe" tastes so much better. I only allow myself 1 cup a day and I want it good so I allow myself 1 picky thing.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Katie, even though I "bolded" the pill form part, this is the one that caught my eye first: Due to its acidity, apple cider vinegar can be very harsh, even burning the throat.
I don't see much difference between drinking it straight or putting it on something and then consuming it. Either way, chemically, I don't think it is being broken down.

However, I would think you must have a pretty tender throat to think it was harsh or burning.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:59 PM   #40
Executive Chef

P.S. Mcnerd, I love the quote!

P.P.S. Use it 50/50 with water for bad breath.