Vinegar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Once a month I boil some white vinegar in my tea kettle. Gets rid of the "scaling" inside from the chemicals in the water. I also clean our electric coffee maker regularly by running white vinegar through a cycle.

:) DH drinks a TBL of cider vinegar every morning. You reall need to brush or rinse teeth well after as it can slowly eat away the enamel on your teeth. Think about if it can disolve mineral deposits it certainly can tooth enamel over time.

ya'll just tickle me!!!:ROFLMAO: I'll never think of vinegar the same way again. Wasn't there a cat in CATS called Vinegar Tom?

I don't see much difference between drinking it straight or putting it on something and then consuming it. Either way, chemically, I don't think it is being broken down.

I hope NOBODY drinks vinegar straight. Even at 5% that's harsh. Drinking it is recommended at 2 Tbls or less in 8 oz glass of water. I tell people to start out much less and work up the dosage as you get used to it. I actually prefer it to a soft drink and it sure is healthier...and if you should get the kind with "mother" all the better.

I don't understand the statement about chemically not being broken down. The body uses it and breaks it down as part of the normal digestive process. It does not pass through the body unchanged.

I am saying that I don't think vinegar gets broken down by sprinkling it on food, as opposed to cooking with it. Like the wiki thing referenced.
Of course it is broken down upon digestion.

I have a book called "FOLK MEDICINE ", copyright 1958, by D.C. Jarvis, M.D., and quotes on cover "The best selling book describing Vermont folk practices, particularly the use of honey and apple cider vinegar".
Page 10 states, "..... there is an extremely simple prescription for replenishing the mineral needs of the body. It is as follows: two teaspoonfuls of honey and two teaspoonfuls of apple cider vinegar, taken in a glass of water one or more times each day, depending on how much metal and physical work is done. The blend tastes like a glass of apple cider........".

I bought it in the early 70's, when everybody was "getting back to nature". I did it for awhile, then got hooked on my coffee fix. But it does make you feel good, has a cleaning feeling. Try it.

See www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/acvinegar.hlmt

Last edited:
That sounds a little more palatable than vinegar straight up or diluted with water by itself.
I'll see what it does. I've been putting in a fence and have been feeling a bit whooped.

I am saying that I don't think vinegar gets broken down by sprinkling it on food, as opposed to cooking with it. Like the wiki thing referenced.
Of course it is broken down upon digestion.

What you need to think of is dilution, not chemical breakdown. Sprinkling vinegar on food dilutes it.

You have nothing to fear from cider vinegar. Really. It's not that strong and it won't burn you.

Wiki really isn't a great source of accurate information sometimes. In this case, it seems to have given you an unecessary reason to worry about something.

Back
Top Bottom