Vinegar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:) Cider vinegar diluted with a little water and dabbed with cotton ball helps sun burns. I make an every day after a shower spray 3 parts water 1 part white vinegar and 1 TBL bleach I put it in an old windex bottle works pretty good for light cleaning also. I have white, cider, balsamic,red,white, sherry, fig, rice wine and raspberry vinegar. There are many uses for white and cider vinegar besides cooking.

I forgot about the hair rinse with cider v. I haven't used that in a longtime, yet it's supposed to be good for red heads. (Me-strawberry blonde).
thanks for the reminder

Vinegar is an acid and even at 5% acidity it can cause problems in certain circumstances at full strength. Most uses however are diluted with water or something else.

I "drink" apple cider vinegar with water every day. I also rinse my hair daily with a vinegar/water solution and also use it to keep my skin soft and beautiful (I'm a guy so no flowery lotions for me) after working in the garage or yard.

Good stuff and yes the smell goes away in a matter of minutes.
:) I have used 8 parts water to 1 part cider vinegar in a spray bottle to put on my face after a shower to restore the pH balance for mantle on my skin for years. HB also drinks cider vinegar every day it's loaded with potassium

We use tons of white vinegar. If you can make bombs with it I'm gonna get followed home by the FBI or Homeland Security from WalMart some day...... When DH cleans his aquarium equipment he soaks his pumps and stuff in it to get the calcium build up off. I usually end up buying 5 gallons at a time.
Reefkeeping.... now there is a totally MacGuyvered hobby.
Sorry, waaaaaayyy off topic.
Otherwise I use mostly cider for cooking, I also have redwine, white wine, rice, balsamic, and a couple others I dont feel like getting up to I.D. right now. :) When I see an interesting one and I have a few extra bucks on my grocery budget (which is never) I like to grab something different.

I have some cider vinegar with a mother in it, how do I make more vinegar? Do I just use apple cider and add some mother? Can I make red wine vinegar with red wine, add the mother?

I like balsamic vinegar, on my mac and cheese, and alfredo noodles, and in a reduction. White vinegar in dressings, and mayo. Cider vinegar, to drink with molasses and honey, and dressing.

From wiki:

Apple cider
Apple cider vinegar, otherwise known simply as cider vinegar, is made from cider or apple must, and is often sold unfiltered, with a brownish-yellow color; it often contains mother of vinegar. It is very popular, partly due to its beneficial health and beauty properties. Due to its acidity, apple cider vinegar can be very harsh, even burning the throat. If taken straight (as opposed to usage in cooking), it should be diluted (e.g. with fruit juice) before drinking.[3] Others dilute it with warm water and add some honey.[4] There have been reports of acid chemical burns of the throat in using the pill form."

It has never tasted harsh to me or burned my throat. And while putting it on FFs may heat it up some, I wouldn't consider that cooking with it ;)

And getting malt vinegar is on my list :)

"

What it is telling you is not to drink it straight from the bottle, though some people do.

What it is not saying is that it will burn you if you put it on your fries or use it any way but straight.

Pretty much all vinegars are adjusted to a set range of acidity. The bottles in my cabinet range from 4.3% for rice vinegar to 6% acidity for balsamic and red wine vinegars.

Hard to imagine any of them causing an actual burn rather than just a burning sensation as you swallow it.

Buy him a banana, they taste a lot better.

Actually that is a total MYTH. Sure, there's potassium in it, but potassium is also the predominant nutrient in almost all fruits and vegetables, from avocado--which offers twice the potassium of a banana--to zucchini. Also, bananas are high in sugar and best avoided if you have blood sugar problems. Or at least don't eat bananas on an empty stomach.

As for the vinegar, its an acquired taste, but the benefits are enormous.

I use all of the above for various things, but use white for more than just food.
I put it in the wash to get out any soap residue, and once in a while take all the shower heads and faucet ends off and put in a pail to get the calcium deposits off. I've poured it on stubborn weeds to kill them and on ant holes
too. If I don't have lemon, I use it in a pyrex cup with water in the microwave to neutralize popcorn smell. And in a spray bottle with water to use on my glass sliding doors and car windows for where the dogs nose has streaked them. - I don't want to use chemicals where he'll be.
My MIL used to peel and cut her potatoes for mashed ahead of time for a big family gathering, put them in a pot of water with alittle white v. and the potatoes wouldn't turn brown. Then rise out before cooking and use just water to boil.
I love the stuff.

Does it really get soap residue out of the washer and get rid of calcium deposits? How do you do it? How much do you use?

Well, I claim no vinegar brilliance, but I always use a rice vinegar because it gets the job done and isn't harsh in flavor. But, that's just me.

Actually that is a total MYTH. Sure, there's potassium in it, but potassium is also the predominant nutrient in almost all fruits and vegetables, from avocado--which offers twice the potassium of a banana--to zucchini. Also, bananas are high in sugar and best avoided if you have blood sugar problems. Or at least don't eat bananas on an empty stomach.

As for the vinegar, its an acquired taste, but the benefits are enormous.

I never suggested in my post that bananas were the only fruit or vegetable that contained potassium, just that they were a better tasting alternative than vinegar IN MY OPINION.

I have a scooba floor cleaner that can use an expensive scooba cleaning solution, or white vinegar. I've used both solutions and prefer the white vinegar.

Does it really get soap residue out of the washer and get rid of calcium deposits? How do you do it? How much do you use?
Yup. About 1/4 cup in the rinse cycle is sufficient, but if you have a front loader it may foam since some of those washers do things differently. Some use up to 1/2 cup.

If you want to clean your washer, pour a gallon of distilled vinegar into your washer and using warm water let your machine run through a wash and rinse cycle. The vinegar will cut through built up soap residue in hoses etc. Leaving your washer sparkling clean. This will also breakdown rust, and keep the musty smell of water under control.

Use it to clean the stains and build up in your coffee maker. I keep a spray bottle of vinegar/water (75/25) to spray down the faucets and counter to reduce build up and it also disinfects 99.9%.

B'sgirl, yes it does get residue out of clothes. I put about a cup in extra large rinse cycle. And AndyM's idea too about persperation and FOOT ODOR, also. But I haven't had to deal with that since my divorce in '89. YEH!!! (Men and their...oh, never mind. Heh,heh)
And mcnerd's idea too, for the coffee pot. Mine's overdue. Thanks mcnerd. Add it to my list. I do about a 1/2 cup to a full pot of water and run it through. Then I run at least 3 just water cycles after to make sure my next pot of coffee tastes like coffee. I've been using purified water for my coffee for awhile though, 'cause our water from time to time tastes like chlorine so bad, and the pot doesn't get so cruddy, and the "joe" tastes so much better. I only allow myself 1 cup a day and I want it good so I allow myself 1 picky thing.

Katie, even though I "bolded" the pill form part, this is the one that caught my eye first: Due to its acidity, apple cider vinegar can be very harsh, even burning the throat.
I don't see much difference between drinking it straight or putting it on something and then consuming it. Either way, chemically, I don't think it is being broken down.

However, I would think you must have a pretty tender throat to think it was harsh or burning.

Back
Top Bottom