"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Wine Guy

Violet Balsamic

While on a trip through Missouri last month, we stopped at an olive oil shop and I picked up a product I wasn't familiar with: Violet Balsamic Vinegar (18 year old balsamic vinegar infused with violets). After we got home, I promptly stuck it in the pantry and didn't think much more about it. Then last night, while looking for something else, I stumbled across the bottle and thought I would use it to make a vinaigrette.

Wow!

I could drink this stuff straight from the bottle. It has the distinct flavor and sweetness of Balsamic, but with "something" in the background that does remind me of flowers. Mind you, I've never eaten a violet in my life, so I couldn't tell you what they taste like.

I'm trying to come up with additional uses for it. I'm thinking it would work well as an ingredient in sauce for duck, or even as a topping for ice cream.

So now I'm curious. Has anyone else run across this product, and if so, how did you use it? If you haven't tried it, you really should. It's awesome.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Wine Guy

We're having a progressive dinner at our house this coming Friday and I am in charge of the main course. I've already planned on grilled Salmon. I wonder if this balsamic could be reduced to make a glaze for the fish.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
While on a trip through Missouri last month, we stopped at an olive oil shop and I picked up a product I wasn't familiar with: Violet Balsamic Vinegar (18 year old balsamic vinegar infused with violets). After we got home, I promptly stuck it in the pantry and didn't think much more about it. Then last night, while looking for something else, I stumbled across the bottle and thought I would use it to make a vinaigrette.

Wow!

I could drink this stuff straight from the bottle. It has the distinct flavor and sweetness of Balsamic, but with "something" in the background that does remind me of flowers. Mind you, I've never eaten a violet in my life, so I couldn't tell you what they taste like.

I'm trying to come up with additional uses for it. I'm thinking it would work well as an ingredient in sauce for duck, or even as a topping for ice cream.

So now I'm curious. Has anyone else run across this product, and if so, how did you use it? If you haven't tried it, you really should. It's awesome.
I feel that way about the lime olive oil I picked up in Chicago last year. I would think that you could take violets and infuse white wine vinegar with them...I've done that with other things (rosemary, lavender, etc.). Sounds great--I've done the sugar violets when baking, but never thought to do vinegar with them....now I'm thinking infuse vodka! I love lavender-rosemary infused vodka (probably more than I should--but it is really tasty).
Old 07-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Flowers in Salads

Steve,

I would like to thank you for such a lovely post. It is very common here in the Mediterranean to buy edible flowers for salads and extract of floral vinegars too ...

Lovely bouquets too.

I employ rose petals in my salads as well as violets and yellow or red pansies.

Have lovely wkend.
Margi.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Steve,

I believe Violet vinaigrette glaze with salmon would be quite stunning ...

Quite some time ago, I had prepared a vanilla glaze for salmon and it was lovely.

Why don´t you do a mini test run before your dinner ?

It is very common in the prior Moorish ruled provinces
of Spain and Italia, to combine fruit and flowers with fish, poultry and / or meats.

Kind regards.
Margi.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Do a small test batch. Maybe you've come up with a prize winning recipe.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Since you said you could drink the stuff, why not? Maybe mix with some seltzer, some vodka, garnish with an edible flower.

Sounds like good stuff, will have to look for it!
Old 07-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I think making a glaze for salmon would be delicious. Another way to use it would be as a drizzle over bruschetta topped with goat cheese and roasted red peppers or mesclun mix.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
Head Chef

Drizzled over ice cream would be delish.

Drizzle over strawberries

Strawberry (or strawberry/avocado) balsamic salsa to serve with fish, or with chips.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
Master Chef

Steve, is it White Balsamic with violets?

I came across White Balsamic Vinegar at Trader Joe's and I like it a lot. A few days ago I made a white mushroom salad with shaved Parmesan and parsley that was wonderful.
The dressing made with White Balsamic kept the sliced mushrooms both beautiful and delicious. If yours is white also, I think the flavor with violets would be over the moon.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote