"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-22-2006, 06:19 PM   #11
Sous Chef

I was watching a programme on Gourmet Channel last night ( I think it's only available in Spanish). Sumito Estévez, a phenomenally talented local chef, made a timbale with aubergines/zucchini, stuffed with chicken, and bathed with a roasted red pepper sauce - which included a healthy dose of Tau Si - fermented black beans.
Now THAT would give me an excellent excuse to visit the Chinese market tomorrow morning!

Old 07-22-2006, 06:51 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Sigh.. now I wanna live in a city again. Mind you, I've ALWAYS loved living in cities.

My nearest decent Asian STORE is over 2 hrs away!

Ciao,

Old 07-22-2006, 07:20 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Make the trip!
It'll be worthwhile!
Old 07-22-2006, 11:33 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Hi Cjs! My family is in Wa and I remember the "Tacoma Aroma" well!

I just love asian food especially Thai & Japanese cuisine! Yummy!!!
Old 07-23-2006, 07:39 AM   #15
Master Chef

I have to laugh; I, too have been to Asian markets all around the country. In Hawaii, when I'd hit China Town, it was a laugh (I'm very tall and blonde). I'd walk around a head and shoulders above everyone who were craning their necks to stare at me. When we were on the road we were going to Vancouver. At the border we were asked the purpose of our visit to Canada. We said the simple truth -- that we were going for Chinese food. The guard was NOT amused. So we finally said "tourism" and were allowed into the country. But really, we WERE going for Chinese food! We'd heard that fair city had a great China town and we were going for lunch & to shop in the Asian groceries. One lovely surprise of those on the road years was Garden City, Kansas. It is a town that has one of the biggest beef feed lots & slaughter houses in the country. Here you are, in a very small town in the middle of nowhere, but there is a large Vietnamese population. I stocked up on Asian foods (I love Vietnamese hot sauce, and buy noodles and rice paper whenever I see a Vietnamese store). As we always did, we stopped at the town's museum. The biggest surprise was there is a wonderful zoo there. All the signs are in English and Spanish (to be expected now) -- and Vietnamese! We also happened to catch a migration of Monarch butterflies there.

Yes, many, if not most, of my friends are "afraid" to go to these Asian markets. I'm not sure why. Yes, it looks and mostly smells different from our sanitary mega mart grocery experience. I always tell them to pick me up on their way, and I'll take them through and give them a "tour". Which sauces are the best for what. How to cook noodles that may not have instructions in English. What that odd-looking vegetable is. Explain the different curry mixes and different kinds of rice. No, do NOT buy hot lime pickle (I do all the time, but most of my freinds around here would simply die if they tried it).

I think one of the most fun things I've ever done was take a Pakistani man to my local spice merchant. He would describe a spice to me, and I'd pick it out for him.

Food can be an adventure!

And, yes, I did go to Canada to have Chinese lunch. Is that so weird?
Old 07-23-2006, 08:08 AM   #16
Sous Chef

"And, yes, I did go to Canada to have Chinese lunch. Is that so weird?"
not in the least bit to me!!

thank you Claire, we're just starting our 'road trips' and I've added your entire post to my "Places to Go" folder.

I have not checked out the ethnic recipes on this site yet for Asian ideas, better go do that soon....
Old 07-23-2006, 11:35 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Well the whole idea was so tempting that I went to the Chinese market this morning. What an incredible place!! All sorts of cabbages, beans, chinese marrow, fresh tofu, freshly butchered pork, fresh bamboo shoots, bitter melon, etc...
Then in the grocery store, I couldn't resist, and came out with
Tau Si - fermented black beans
Peanut oil ( Oh glorious peanut oil!)
Wild Mountain Pickled chillies ( well I had to buy that, didn't I?)
Cloud Ear fungus
There were rows and rows of evil-looking hot sauces, but I resolutely refused to be tempted.
I might give in next week, though!
Old 07-23-2006, 02:25 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Clive,

I often go to that town '2 hrs away.' A stop at the Asian grocery is required. It's just that there's nothing HERE! The one Asian store that did exist and has subsequently closed, never carried food items anyway.

Now if I could only find someone to make me pancit!

Ciao,
Old 07-23-2006, 03:00 PM   #19
Head Chef

Hi Steve A,
Maybe you could find an online shop. I clicked on one of the adverts at the top of the DC site and it was the "Japan Centre" in London. I live in Spain and they'll even ship things here. Seeing as the States is so advanced as regards the Web, I bet you could find a good supplier where you are.
I'm about to move out to a rural area soon and I'm already building up a bank of online shops that will be able to ship me proper Italian risotto rice and so on.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:59 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
When we were on the road we were going to Vancouver. At the border we were asked the purpose of our visit to Canada. We said the simple truth -- that we were going for Chinese food. The guard was NOT amused. So we finally said "tourism" and were allowed into the country. But really, we WERE going for Chinese food! We'd heard that fair city had a great China town and we were going for lunch & to shop in the Asian groceries.
Vancouver has probably the best dim sum that I've had in North America. Most of their dim sum is prepared in the Hong Kong style. It was better than the stuff I've had in SF, LA, NYC, or Honolulu.