Vodka in cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess the most popular one I can think of is a vodka sauce. If you type into google - "vodka sauce", recipe - you will have quite a few choices.

or type in - vodka in food recipes

How about just drinking it....>Vodka and Cranberry juicee......oh dang now I got a another craving and it's only 12 30......

ok, here's a simple vodka sauce recipe - But remember, the vodka isn't going to go bad so if you still don't use it all just put it in the cupboard or do a search on google for more recipes. I saw one one time where you cured salmon in it. It's out there somewhere! LOL

1 quart Simple Tomato Sauce, recipe follows, or store-bought marinara sauce, blended until smooth
1 cup vodka
1/2 cup heavy cream, at room temperature
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 pound penne

Simmer the tomato sauce and vodka in a heavy large skillet over low heat until the mixture reduces by 1/4, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Stir the cream into the tomato and vodka sauce. Simmer over low heat until the sauce is heated through. Stir in the Parmesan cheese until melted and well blended.

Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Drain the pasta and transfer it to the pan with the sauce, and toss to coat.

Simple Tomato Sauce:
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 (32-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
4 to 6 basil leaves
2 dried bay leaves
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, optional

In a large casserole pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, about 2 minutes. Add celery and carrot and season with salt and pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil, and bay leaves and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer for 1 hour or until thick. Remove bay leaves and taste for seasoning. If sauce tastes too acidic, add unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, to round out the flavor.

Pour half the tomato sauce into the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Continue with remaining tomato sauce.

If not using all the sauce, allow it to cool completely and then pour 1 to 2 cup portions into plastic freezer bags. Freeze for up to 6 months.

LOL - (it won't really get you sauced but it does make a great sauce!)

Oh, and I just remembered another great one - shrim fra diavolo/diavalo - not sure on spelling - I need to get to the Farmer's Market before they pull up tents - I'll post when I get back.

vodka for cooking

I have a recipe for a chicken breast marinade.

1/2 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
zest and juice of one lime
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon vodka
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts Place marinade ingredients in one gallon Ziploc bag, put in chicken, seal.

Marinate for 2-3 hours or overnight (best to do overnight)

Vodka is great to cook with when you need the alcohol, but not the flavor. Certain flavors are alcohol soluble meaning you will only taste those flavors when there is alcohol involved. Tomatoes have one of these flavor compounds. Here is a great recipe that uses vodka...

PENNE ALA VODKA

One 35-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes (preferably San Marzano) with their liquid
1 pound penne
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
10 cloves garlic, peeled
Crushed hot red pepper
1/4 cup vodka
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil for finishing the sauce, if you like
2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for passing if you like

Bring 6 quarts of salted water to a boil in an 8-quart pot over high heat.

Pour the tomatoes and their liquid into the work bowl of a food processor. Using quick on/off pulses, process the tomatoes just until they are finely chopped. (Longer processing will aerate the tomatoes, turning them pink.)

Stir the penne into the boiling water. Bring the water back to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook the pasta, semi-covered, stirring occasionally, until done, 8 to 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Whack the garlic cloves with the side of a knife and add them to the hot oil. Cook, shaking the skillet, until the garlic is lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Lower the work bowl with the tomatoes close to the skillet and carefully — they will splatter — slide the tomatoes into the pan. Bring to a boil, season lightly with salt and generously with crushed red pepper, and boil 2 minutes. Pour in the vodka, lower the heat so the sauce is at a lively simmer, and simmer until the pasta is ready.

Just before the pasta is done, fish the garlic cloves out of the sauce and pour in the cream. Add the 2 tablespoons butter or oil, if using, and swirl the skillet to incorporate into the sauce. If the skillet is large enough to accommodate the sauce and pasta, fish the pasta out of the boiling water with a large wire skimmer and drop it directly into the sauce in the skillet. If not, drain the pasta, return it to the pot, and pour in the sauce. Bring the sauce and pasta to a boil, stirring to coat the pasta with sauce. Check the seasoning, adding salt and red pepper if necessary. Sprinkle the parsley over the pasta and boil until the sauce is reduced enough to cling to the pasta.

Remove the pot from the heat, sprinkle 3/4 cup of the cheese over the pasta, and toss to mix. Serve immediately, passing additional cheese if you like.

Makes 6 servings.

Sounds GREAT GB!!!
1.gif

Kumquats in Vodka

Place 4 oz. kumquats in a mason jar, add 1 cup sugar, scraped seeds from 1 vanilla pod (throw in the pod as well).
Top with vodka and close tight.
Shake jar once a day, every day until the sugar is dissolved.
Store in a dark cupboard, and forget it for two months.
Then use the kumquats and the syrupy vodka as you like (great drizzled on pies, etc).

Vodka in cooking? Of course it's a good thing. Food always tastes better when you have a happy chef!

As a general rule I find vodka to not be flavorfull enough to hold up in most recipes. BUT I have frozen it (will turn to a syrup-y consistency) then, at the very last minute pouring over cherry tomatoes and a dash of seasonings you'd normally use in a bloody mary -- W sauce, tabasco, bitters, S&P. You want to add the vodka at the very last minute to retain that syrup consistency. Bloody Mary Salad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom