Waffles!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BakingGirl

Assistant Cook
I made homemade waffles for the first time today, the flavor was great but they were tough! I was careful not to over mix and carefully folded in egg whites. Any ideas on why they came out so tough? I was so bummed! : \

Did you "lighten" the batter with about 1/4 of the egg whites before you folded the rest in? Gently stirring in that 1/4 makes it much easier to fold the rest of the egg whites in. Also, were they just whipped to soft peaks?

Post your recipe, maybe there's something missing cause I've never had a tough waffle when I've used my recipe with separted eggs.

My favorite recipe for waffles is the buttermilk waffle recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (circa 1953). I've made these so many times without fail. They freeze well, they hold well in a warm oven--always a hit.

I have added about 1/4 c of club soda to substitute for some of the buttermilk, but most times, I just follow the recipe. I shake the egg yolks, buttermilk, and oil in 1.5 liter jar. (When I add the club soda, I don't shake that with the rest of the wet ingredients!) And I add 1 tsp ground cardamon (about 5-7 pods) and grated orange zest.

I usually double the recipe to have freezer waffles. I've also made savory waffles by adding sage and grated cheese to this recipe.

Last edited:
Yeah I did try folding in 1/3 of egg whites first then the rest according to directions. Is it possible I over beat them? I believe they were soft peaks. If they were more than soft would that cause the toughness?

Ok here is recipe and I followed it exactly as directed!

Waffles
From Food Network Kitchens

Prep Time:20 minInactive Prep Time: -- Cook Time:30 min
Level:
Easy
Serves:
about 6 waffles
Ingredients
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon fine salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups milk, at room temperature
2 large eggs, at room temperature, separated
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus more for brushing the iron
1 large egg white, at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
Serving suggestions: Maple syrup, jam, fresh fruit, or yogurt
Directions
Preheat a waffle iron to medium-high.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, egg yolks, vanilla, and 1/4 cup melted butter. Whisk the milk mixture into the flour mixture until a batter is formed. Take care not to over mix the batter.

In medium bowl, with a hand-held electric mixer or whisk, whip the 3 egg whites until they just begin to hold a loose peak. Scatter the sugar over the whites and continue beating until they hold a soft peak. Using a rubber spatula, fold a third of the egg whites into the batter to lighten the base. Fold in the remaining whites.

Brush the inside surface of the iron with butter. Pour in enough batter to lightly cover the surface of the iron, about 1/3 to 3/4 cup, depending upon the size of the iron. (Take into consideration that the batter will spread once the lid is closed.) Cover and cook until golden brown and slightly crisp, about 5 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter. (If the waffle iron is well seasoned or nonstick it is not necessary to brush the inner surface each time before cooking the waffles.)

Serve the waffles immediately with syrup, jam, fresh fruit, or yogurt.

Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Copyright 2011 Television Food Network G.P.
All Rights Reserved

nothing strange or unusual in the recipe or the directions - the "2 eggs.." + "1 egg...." is a little confusing but not an "issue"

two things that immediately come to mind in the "why so tough?" question:
over-beating/mixing - that can develop the gluten in the flour. I never found the need for a mixer on the batter proper, the egg whites go faster with powertools....

the other is the waffle iron temperature & recovery time. if the iron is cold it takes longer to cook them and the outside can get tough&chewy rather than crisp. if you have a temp adjustment (aka "brownness knob") turn it up to max.

oddball item: I had an 'antique' waffle iron passed down from my aunt - it 'worked' but as I later discovered it really did not get hot enough - I presume there was so much electrical resistance in the cord/terminals that the elements never saw the proper voltage - I ditched it when I noticed the plug was getting so hot it could burn skin and boy did I have a surprise with the 'performance' of a new one.....

Yes, the appliance must be up to temperature. Also, I didn't see any fat in the batter. Add 3 tbs. cooking oil to your batter to make a more tender waffle. As JustPlainBill saide, our just have to try a yeast-raised waffle recipe. You don't need a Belgian Waffle maker to use the batter recipe, and they are so crazy good.

Another unique waffle that I made was to take a cup of pumpkin pie filling, from the Libby's recipe, and add a cup of flour, and two tsp. baking powder. Add 3 tbs cooking oil and blend together. This gave me wonderful results.

I hope your next waffles come out great.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

>>1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus more for brushing the iron

methinks the fat part is covered (g)

Back
Top Bottom