"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #31
Executive Chef

GLC I think you're exactly right because medium up-scale and up-scale is exactly TJ's style. They won't be head-to-head with WFM either because TJ's prices are better. That's one of TJ's attractions, good stuff but at more reasonable prices. One part I really like is TJ's huge wine selection at reasonable prices.

I still shop at WFM for specific items but TJ's got most of the stuff I like. Things are even better when I get my vegetables and seafood at Asian and Latino markets.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #32
Executive Chef

I bought some local "chocolate orange honey dip" that I need to use. It is SO good! I am thinking warm over ice cream.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:00 AM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
If you see a price that is too good to be true, check the ingredients. In my area some stores are now selling a honey flavored corn syrup with cute names in bear shaped bottles. It just ain't right I tell ya!
I had this happen with olive oil. I picked up a store brand from curiousity. It looked like olive oil. It said Extra Virgin. It tasted like your regular cooking oil. Put on my magnifiers and read the label. It was something like 2% olive oil, the rest regular vegetable oil.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I had this happen with olive oil. I picked up a store brand from curiousity. It looked like olive oil. It said Extra Virgin. It tasted like your regular cooking oil. Put on my magnifiers and read the label. It was something like 2% olive oil, the rest regular vegetable oil.
I've been seeing that pop up more and more, first in closeout/discount stores like Ollie's and Big Lots, usually with very deceptive labels, now I am seeing it more in regular grocery stores. The stuff in grocery stores isn't quite as deceptive, but they do put Extra Virgin in large letters and "blend" in much smaller ones. The ones in closeout stores often have labels that look very much like popular brand names like Colovita and Bertoli.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #35
Head Chef

Here's the results of actual testing. And that's just the ones that were recognized brands that made clear statements on the label. No telling what they would have found in the off brands with trick labels. They didn't test for actual origins, and I'm not sure they can do that (like testing pollen in honey) or if they can detect the extraction method. But considering that the standards for olive oil have been in place in one for or another for a long time, it's pretty telling when so many fail in so many ways. We really haven't come as far we would like to think from the brick-dust-in-flour and fake tea Victorian days.

http://olivecenter.ucdavis.edu/files...%20reduced.pdf
Old 01-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
Here's the results of actual testing. And that's just the ones that were recognized brands that made clear statements on the label. No telling what they would have found in the off brands with trick labels. They didn't test for actual origins, and I'm not sure they can do that (like testing pollen in honey) or if they can detect the extraction method. But considering that the standards for olive oil have been in place in one for or another for a long time, it's pretty telling when so many fail in so many ways. We really haven't come as far we would like to think from the brick-dust-in-flour and fake tea Victorian days.

http://olivecenter.ucdavis.edu/files...%20reduced.pdf
Wow, very interesting. I read, a long time ago, that the best olive oils came from the small producers, not big name brands. I keep a Google spreadsheet that lists the brands I have tried and what I thought of them.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

i don't know what's wrong with me today, but i keep reading thread titles out of context.

this one is in response to "where did you get those questionably produced chinese products?"

walgreen's, honey.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #38
Head Chef

Honey is but the tip of the "questionable food" items ... it's ONE product out of the 1000's on our food shelves. Too bad we can't have such great discussions about the rest of them. It would change the way everyone eats, to be sure.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
That sounds like my imported pasta deal!

I read the fine print when I got home and it was imported from Mexico.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i don't know what's wrong with me today, but i keep reading thread titles out of context.

this one is in response to "where did you get those questionably produced chinese products?"

walgreen's, honey.
That's so sweet!

Tags
honey