Walgreen's Honey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
Standing at the checkout counter, a lady in front of me had 4 bottles of Walgreens honey, and the 2 clerks were talking about how CBS and others rated WG honey as best tasting and very pure. I almost turned around and bought some. Oh, and the lady had a $4 off coupon. Anyone else hear about this?

Walgreen's, as in the drug store? When Texas A&M University tested honeys bought from a variety of stores, Walgreen's was one of those in which 100% of the honey on their shelves had no pollen whatsoever. Specifically, Walgreen's MEL-O Honey was one of them. Pollen is only removed with ultrafiltration. The bottlers say that's done to improve shelf life, but standard filtration removes debris, bee parts, etc. and is all that is needed. An industry expert says the only reason to remove pollen is to remove the ability to test to identify honey from places where it might be questionable, meaning China. Conscientious makers use pollen testing to weed out honey that has been transshipped through a third country, and they won't buy honey that has had the pollen removed, because Chinese honey is sometimes sent through another country where the pollen is filtered out before moving to the U.S. Like so much from China, including the orange concentrate in orange "juice," their honey may be chemically corrupt and may contain various animal antibiotics. Walgreen's and most other drug and grocery chains refuse to say where their honey comes from. But there's only one reason to spend the extra money on ultrafiltration. Busy Bee and Sue Bee are also sans pollen. Even Winnie the Pooh brand is suspect. Honey is a dirty business. Many specialty honeys are found to be falsely labeled. FDA does not police honey. Buy local.

I heard the same thing as GLC. Most supermarket brands are just as bad. I suggest buying local or organic honey as well.

Hmm. Well, I like pollen in my honey too, and certainly don't mind the occasional bee part. I have a big enough collection of honey that I don't need any right now, but thought the conversation was interesting. Will have to look at the label next time I'm in WG to check if it's sourced.

Last edited:
Hmm. Well, I like pollen in my honey too, and certainly don't mind the occasional bee part. I have a big enough collection of honey that I don't need any right now, but thought the conversation was interesting. Will have to look at the label next time I'm in WG to check if it's sourced.

Maybe they thought that ultra-filtered was better. You know, no icky pollen :ermm: :LOL:

Walgreen's, as in the drug store? When Texas A&M University tested honeys bought from a variety of stores, Walgreen's was one of those in which 100% of the honey on their shelves had no pollen whatsoever. Specifically, Walgreen's MEL-O Honey was one of them. Pollen is only removed with ultrafiltration. The bottlers say that's done to improve shelf life, but standard filtration removes debris, bee parts, etc. and is all that is needed. An industry expert says the only reason to remove pollen is to remove the ability to test to identify honey from places where it might be questionable, meaning China. Conscientious makers use pollen testing to weed out honey that has been transshipped through a third country, and they won't buy honey that has had the pollen removed, because Chinese honey is sometimes sent through another country where the pollen is filtered out before moving to the U.S. Like so much from China, including the orange concentrate in orange "juice," their honey may be chemically corrupt and may contain various animal antibiotics. Walgreen's and most other drug and grocery chains refuse to say where their honey comes from. But there's only one reason to spend the extra money on ultrafiltration. Busy Bee and Sue Bee are also sans pollen. Even Winnie the Pooh brand is suspect. Honey is a dirty business. Many specialty honeys are found to be falsely labeled. FDA does not police honey. Buy local.

Wow. Just wow. I never gave this subject any thought. I thought honey was just honey. You've given me a lot to think about.

Lately I've been getting my honey from Trader Joe's Market. They usually identify the origin of all their products of this type. My most recent purchase is TJ's 100% Desert Mesquite Honey "From the Desert of Northern Mexico."

I've had just about enough of China. It's clear that their government and their manufacturers don't care a bit about their own people, and never mind what they care about overseas customers.

You can be sure I'll check the origin of my honey after reading this topic, and I won't ever buy a thing anymore unless it comes from what I consider a reputable market. Not China for sure.

Gourmet Greg said:
Wow. Just wow. I never gave this subject any thought. I thought honey was just honey. You've given me a lot to think about.

Lately I've been getting my honey from Trader Joe's Market. They usually identify the origin of all their products of this type. My most recent purchase is TJ's 100% Desert Mesquite Honey "From the Desert of Northern Mexico."

I've had just about enough of China. It's clear that their government and their manufacturers don't care a bit about their own people, and never mind what they care about overseas customers.

You can be sure I'll check the origin of my honey after reading this topic, and I won't ever buy a thing anymore unless it comes from what I consider a reputable market. Not China for sure.

I've been trying to find Yucatan honey from Mexico for several years. I wouldn't be afraid of Mexican honey, reputed to be some of the best. Unfortunately, it's sometimes bottled in (sterile) old pop bottles and jars, and confiscated at the US border.

Chinese honey, well, not so much. Good info!

Many local Apiaries are run by kids in 4-H, your purchase of local honey helps them continue their projects and the world needs more honey bees!

Many local Apiaries are run by kids in 4-H, your purchase of local honey helps them continue their projects and the world needs more honey bees!

You just had to go and remind me about needing more bees. Is there any good news about those bee die-offs we have been experiencing for the last few years?

If you see a price that is too good to be true, check the ingredients. In my area some stores are now selling a honey flavored corn syrup with cute names in bear shaped bottles. It just ain't right I tell ya! :(

Once you remove all the pollen, the remaining liquid can scarcely be considered honey any longer. The only reason that ultra-filtration is used is to disguise Chinese honey. Buying organic and/or from a trustworthy (and hopefully local) source is the way to go.

The thing with the "Icky Pollen" is that for some people the pollen IS the reason for going with local honey. For some people with allergies, that dab of pollen acts as a sort of way of building resistance. Or so I've been told. When I heard that I started looking at honeys when I bought and tried to find them as close to the source as possible. We don't sweeten much in this house; a bag of sugar lasts from Christmas party to Christmas party (used in eggnog). Luckily (!!!) I have a friend who's a beekeeper. So now my honey comes from only a mile or so from my house. Mostly I use it to sweeten hot tea and in salad dressings, so a little goes a long way. Beekeeper buddy says she's heard about the allergy-relieving qualities of buying local honey, but won't lay any health claims (smart gal!) on hers, just that it's good stuff. THAT I can attest to. I buy it because I like her and do like to support local businesses when feasible. She brought me my year's supply of honey for Christmas, and a bottle of her husband's latest endeavor, a nice, dry red wine. I think she's got a future there.

I'm working on finishing a bottle of Desert Mesquite Honey, and it is really good, quite flavorful.

I have 2 jars of honey from an apple orchard near my mom's house in Maine and a jar from a friend who's sister has bee hives, so I'm set for a while. I like local honey and when I travel I like to buy a jar of honey, it's fun to taste all of the different flavors you can get from honey depending where it is from!

Probably some government regulation...

I don't think so. The good stuff isn't pasteurized.

I bought some Life Brand (Pharmaprix/Shopper's Drugmart store brand) honey. It has honey from Canada, Australia, and Argentina. The odd thing, which I noticed when I got it home: it's packaged in Australia! The Canadian honey has been across the Pacific twice! That's just wrong.

But it isn't pasteurized. I checked for that.

Well Taxlady, the last I heard on the CCD(colony collapse disorder) front is that they may have found a tangible cause as to why it happens. For the longest time they just attributed it to pollution and disease, but now they have found that it may be the work of parasitic flies that take control of the actual bodies of the bees. Yuck. Here's a link to an article about it: Zombies May Be The Reason for Colony Collapse Disorder - Technorati Lifestyle
Also I recommend watching Colony, a wonderful documentary on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom