"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Walgreen's Honey

Standing at the checkout counter, a lady in front of me had 4 bottles of Walgreens honey, and the 2 clerks were talking about how CBS and others rated WG honey as best tasting and very pure. I almost turned around and bought some. Oh, and the lady had a $4 off coupon. Anyone else hear about this?

Old 01-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Executive Chef

No. Now I need to check put that Walgreen's honey.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
Head Chef

Walgreen's, as in the drug store? When Texas A&M University tested honeys bought from a variety of stores, Walgreen's was one of those in which 100% of the honey on their shelves had no pollen whatsoever. Specifically, Walgreen's MEL-O Honey was one of them. Pollen is only removed with ultrafiltration. The bottlers say that's done to improve shelf life, but standard filtration removes debris, bee parts, etc. and is all that is needed. An industry expert says the only reason to remove pollen is to remove the ability to test to identify honey from places where it might be questionable, meaning China. Conscientious makers use pollen testing to weed out honey that has been transshipped through a third country, and they won't buy honey that has had the pollen removed, because Chinese honey is sometimes sent through another country where the pollen is filtered out before moving to the U.S. Like so much from China, including the orange concentrate in orange "juice," their honey may be chemically corrupt and may contain various animal antibiotics. Walgreen's and most other drug and grocery chains refuse to say where their honey comes from. But there's only one reason to spend the extra money on ultrafiltration. Busy Bee and Sue Bee are also sans pollen. Even Winnie the Pooh brand is suspect. Honey is a dirty business. Many specialty honeys are found to be falsely labeled. FDA does not police honey. Buy local.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I always buy local honey, best way to overcome local allergies to pollen, etc.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
Cook

I heard the same thing as GLC. Most supermarket brands are just as bad. I suggest buying local or organic honey as well.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hmm. Well, I like pollen in my honey too, and certainly don't mind the occasional bee part. I have a big enough collection of honey that I don't need any right now, but thought the conversation was interesting. Will have to look at the label next time I'm in WG to check if it's sourced.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Hmm. Well, I like pollen in my honey too, and certainly don't mind the occasional bee part. I have a big enough collection of honey that I don't need any right now, but thought the conversation was interesting. Will have to look at the label next time I'm in WG to check if it's sourced.
Maybe they thought that ultra-filtered was better. You know, no icky pollen
Old 01-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
Walgreen's, as in the drug store? When Texas A&M University tested honeys bought from a variety of stores, Walgreen's was one of those in which 100% of the honey on their shelves had no pollen whatsoever. Specifically, Walgreen's MEL-O Honey was one of them. Pollen is only removed with ultrafiltration. The bottlers say that's done to improve shelf life, but standard filtration removes debris, bee parts, etc. and is all that is needed. An industry expert says the only reason to remove pollen is to remove the ability to test to identify honey from places where it might be questionable, meaning China. Conscientious makers use pollen testing to weed out honey that has been transshipped through a third country, and they won't buy honey that has had the pollen removed, because Chinese honey is sometimes sent through another country where the pollen is filtered out before moving to the U.S. Like so much from China, including the orange concentrate in orange "juice," their honey may be chemically corrupt and may contain various animal antibiotics. Walgreen's and most other drug and grocery chains refuse to say where their honey comes from. But there's only one reason to spend the extra money on ultrafiltration. Busy Bee and Sue Bee are also sans pollen. Even Winnie the Pooh brand is suspect. Honey is a dirty business. Many specialty honeys are found to be falsely labeled. FDA does not police honey. Buy local.
Wow. Just wow. I never gave this subject any thought. I thought honey was just honey. You've given me a lot to think about.

Lately I've been getting my honey from Trader Joe's Market. They usually identify the origin of all their products of this type. My most recent purchase is TJ's 100% Desert Mesquite Honey "From the Desert of Northern Mexico."

I've had just about enough of China. It's clear that their government and their manufacturers don't care a bit about their own people, and never mind what they care about overseas customers.

You can be sure I'll check the origin of my honey after reading this topic, and I won't ever buy a thing anymore unless it comes from what I consider a reputable market. Not China for sure.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg

Wow. Just wow. I never gave this subject any thought. I thought honey was just honey. You've given me a lot to think about.

Lately I've been getting my honey from Trader Joe's Market. They usually identify the origin of all their products of this type. My most recent purchase is TJ's 100% Desert Mesquite Honey "From the Desert of Northern Mexico."

I've had just about enough of China. It's clear that their government and their manufacturers don't care a bit about their own people, and never mind what they care about overseas customers.

You can be sure I'll check the origin of my honey after reading this topic, and I won't ever buy a thing anymore unless it comes from what I consider a reputable market. Not China for sure.
I've been trying to find Yucatan honey from Mexico for several years. I wouldn't be afraid of Mexican honey, reputed to be some of the best. Unfortunately, it's sometimes bottled in (sterile) old pop bottles and jars, and confiscated at the US border.

Chinese honey, well, not so much. Good info!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Many local Apiaries are run by kids in 4-H, your purchase of local honey helps them continue their projects and the world needs more honey bees!

Tags
honey