Walnut oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

licia

Executive Chef
I don't use walnut oil often at all, and was wondering if perhaps I could infuse canola or a similar oil with walnut and have a somewhat similar effect. Does anyone know?

I am not so sure that you can really do this with crushed walnuts.

Peppers on the otherhand can easily flavor any oil.

No idea whether or not this would be successful. Although you would be losing a few of the health benefits (and probably the intended taste as well) if you did not use walnut oil.

I seem to recall reading that you cannot infuse nuts in oils as there is a weird reaction between the two elements - but I may be mistaken.

Nuts, like walnuts, contain oils. Walnut oil is just walnuts that have been pressed under a lot of pressure to extract their oil.

I really don't think the "oil infusion" idea would work. You could make an "extract" by grinding the walnuts and then soaking them in a 1:1 mixture of 80 or 100 proof bourbon and water for several weeks (the longer the better - up to about 1 year).

You could also grind up some walnuts in the blender and add just enough neutral flavored oil to make a "walnut butter". This "might" melt down in the cooking process and give you a "similar" flavor. Don't really know what your trying to use the walnut oil for.

The reason that a special oil is called for is usually to impart a subtle, extra flavor layer to whatever it is you're cooking.

I'd bet it is safe to say that 99% of the time you won't find a huge taste difference if you use another type of oil, as long as what you use as a substitute is mild flavored! (e.g. substituting sesame oil for walnut wouldn't be a such a great idea.)

Depending on what you're making, you could probably use canola oil without effecting the taste much. Or maybe some light colored, mild evoo or vegetable oil.

And if you really needed the taste of walnuts, you could always toast some (in a dry pan, over medium heat, until they start to smell wonderful, careful, they burn easily!) They could be ground up into to small bits after roasting too, if the size mattered.

If you ever do feel an urge to splurge there are some fantastic oils out there! Using a quality peanut oil in Asian cooking makes a world of difference. The taste of olive oils are about as varied as those of wines. I have a bottle of super stuff that I use to drizzle and for salads and a bottle of the grocery store variety that I use for everything else. Macadamia nut, sesame, lemon-infused olive oil mmmm all good stuff. But certainly not a requirement.

As someone who doesn't cook or eat meat, I've found that those kinds of things make huge taste differences in what I cook. Some folks splurge on filet mignon, me on champagne vinegar and oils!

:heart:
Z

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom