"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Cook

Want a Small Ham

We want to get a real nice ham for Christmas. We like the fancy spiral cut hams, but there's always way too much, and we end up discovering freezer-burned chunks of leftover ham in the freezer around Easter.

How could I get some good ham that comes in a small size (just a few pounds)? I can do the cooking and slicing myself.

Thanks,

Al

Old 12-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoAl View Post
We want to get a real nice ham for Christmas. We like the fancy spiral cut hams, but there's always way too much, and we end up discovering freezer-burned chunks of leftover ham in the freezer around Easter.

How could I get some good ham that comes in a small size (just a few pounds)? I can do the cooking and slicing myself.

Thanks,

Al

You can get whole, half and quarter spiral cut hams.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Al, we always get a free big ham from DH's work, and find that ham freezes really well in the Foodsaver. Just whack off the right size hunk, cook, and Foodsaver the rest. Or cook the whole thing and FS the leftovers.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
Master Chef

Eternity is two people and a ham," wrote Irma S. Rombauer in the original Joy of Cooking.

I think ham is a great choice for Christmas, it can be part of a formal dinner or it can start out as part of a breakfast buffet and wind up as a platter of cold cuts with some rolls, potato salad, chips, etc... for a casual lunch.

I have never had a bad ham so I usually pick up an inexpensive one at Aldi's. The spiral cut hams make great cold cuts and breakfast slices if frozen in small one pound packages, the trimmings from the bone are great in soup or scalloped potatoes. One year I bought an official HoneyBaked Ham, it came with more paperwork than my last new car and IMO it was not any better than a generic ham. This year the one I have is seven pounds enough for a nice dinner and some small packets for the freezer. Give it another try, keep the leftovers near the front of the freezer so a package falls out on your foot every week or so during the winter!
Old 12-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
Head Chef

I know this doesn't solve your problem but I have an ancient upright freezer which I just love. Although food can still disappear under the jumble at the back of a shelf - it is still far easier to find things. I will never get another chest freezer!

I do try to be little organized with fruit/vegies/baking on certain shelves and meat/fish/seafood on others, plus individual meals near the front - where ever they will fit in!

I also double wrap/bag the food. Small portions in a zip sandwich bag then all the little bags into a bigger zip. (and yes, I'm stingy, wash and reuse a lot) I try to squeeze out as much air, even use a straw, works quite well.

Here in Quebec we can get our milk in plastic bags. I also save, wash, reuse them too. They are a heavier plastic, quite sturdy.

Don't have a lot of ham myself but when I have, and frozen it, find the ice crystals have enlarged the meat and it looks really weird. It does disappear with cooking... but still difficult to use as cold cuts.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
Executive Chef

You might ask your butcher to cut the ham into smaller portions.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Have you considered a canned ham? They can be doctored to be very tasty and pretty for a presentation at the dinner table. Scored with cloves and pineapple rings with a cherry in the middle of each ring. Or a syrup of crushed pineapple and brown sugar as a glaze over the scoring with cloves. And they are easy to slice at the table. And you have no bone to contend with.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I have no idea of your location, Al, but here in NW PA and surrounding areas Smiths Provisions is "THE" ham to buy. And I've purchase small end cuts right there in Walmart in the meat cooler.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
You might ask your butcher to cut the ham into smaller portions.
+1. The butcher at any good grocery store should be able to cut one to size for you.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoAl View Post

Thanks,

Al
Go and visit your local independent butcher (not the supermarket meat counter). Do you want to cure it yourself before cooking or buy it ready to cook? In either case follow the above advice.

Tags
ham