"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2016, 07:17 PM   #11
Master Chef

Another vote for ham. Whenever I have some leftover from baking a half ham, I try to find time/interest in making scalloped potatoes with slices of ham in it. Most times, though, it ends up as chunks of ham in mac and cheese, since I like that one better.

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:03 AM   #12
Executive Chef

I have a question for those of you that use peas in casseroles. Don't they get that yucky, gray-green color and turn to mush after cooking long enough to heat the casserole through? Or do you stir them in or just sprinkle them on top later in the cooking time and cook just long enough to finish the cassrole and heat the peas through? Of course, that's assuming you still like your peas bright green.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:38 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

No, they don't turn yucky green. They stay nice and bright. I put down a layer of potatoes, a layer of ham, sprinkle with peas, drizzle with cheese sauce, repeat. It might help that I par-cook the potatoes while I'm making the cheese sauce, so the dish doesn't have to cook for an hour and a half, but I'm not sure about that. I bake it at 350 for 30-45 minutes.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:55 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Comfort food = memories of childhood, for my DH. He says that frozen peas are OKAY but to really make a tuna salad like his mom used to, she used canned peas (the mushy gray ones). In honor of recreating this food memory, we put canned peas on the shopping list. Canned peas taste different than frozen peas.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:14 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I would suggest trying an Americanized version of Jannsons fretelse (potatoes, onions, cream, and sprats). I've never made it with a boxed scalloped potato mix, but love it (without the cheese). Prosciutto, smoked haddock, smoked salmon or a mix of wild mushrooms/portebello all come to mind as well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janssons_frestelse
Old 08-30-2016, 09:17 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

For pasta salads, I blanch the peas for two minutes and then shock them in ice water to keep them green. For soups, etc., I add the peas the last 5 minutes. You could do that with the scalloped potatoes by pulling out the potatoes and mixing the peas in while the dish rests before serving. Frozen peas will "cook" sufficiently during the rest time.