"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-06-2005, 08:47 AM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
lmw, I'm glad you bumped this up. My sone is home from school today with a cold. I'm going to make him some ginger tea as soon as he wakes up.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:17 AM   #12
Cook

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsk
lmw, I'm glad you bumped this up. My sone is home from school today with a cold. I'm going to make him some ginger tea as soon as he wakes up.
let me know if it works! I plan on making some when I get home from work tonight.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:26 AM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Well, he just finished drinking it, I made the one Claire posted, & he dosen't sound as stopped up. He also said his chest dosen't hurt as bad as it did.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:08 AM   #14
Head Chef

We use ginger a lot in Indian cooking and overall in Indian tea as well. Note fresh ginger and dry ginger are almost two different things. I really don't think of them as good substitutes of each other.

If you are in a mood for a different twist on tea for the cold months try this recipe for ginger chai. The recipe below makes about 2-3 cups of Chai.

2 cups of water
1/2 can of evaporated milk
1 tsp of freshly ground cardamom (nothing can beat the flavor of freshly ground cardamom in chai)
sugar to your liking. I don't like honey in chai
1 tsp of freshly grated ginger
Tea bags or loose black tea of your choice. I strictly use loose tea but it's a personal preference

In a saucepan add the water and bring it to a boil, next add the sugar and tea (if loose tea, add 1 tsp and then a tiny bit more if it's not strong enough). If using tea bags, add two of them. Let it continue to boil until a soft black color develops. Next add the evaporated milk and let it simmer for another 5 or so minutes. Finally stir in the fresh ginger and cardamom.

Seive it through and pour in a large mug and enjoy. It's delicious and will warm up your body and soul.

In cold dreary months I can have a big cup of tea with some freshly baked quick breads and some Indian savories (pakora's or samosas) and I am in heaven.