"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2017, 06:53 PM   #1
Cook

Question Wash+clean bowls butter is in?

How do you by hands wash and clean the bowls and whatnots that butter was contained in without making more mess? It's fun and rewarding to make my own butter, yet cleaning the greasy bowls is a very time consuming nightmare. Should I wash them with COLD water or hot water, and etc?

Old 05-18-2017, 07:24 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm guessing you live where you cannot buy dish washing liquid? I like Dawn brand best, and it's even been used on wildlife after the disasters of oil spills.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawn_(brand)

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:19 PM   #3
Head Chef

Dawn dishwashing detergent is definitely the best at cleaning grease and fats out of your pots, pans and bowls.

CD
Old 05-18-2017, 10:33 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I would think just about any dish soap and hot water will clean a butter container easily. It's not a difficult food to clean.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:41 AM   #5
Wine Guy

Liquid dish soap. Hot water. That's about all that's needed. Maybe I'm just not understanding what the challenge is.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:51 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chueh View Post
How do you by hands wash and clean the bowls and whatnots that butter was contained in without making more mess? It's fun and rewarding to make my own butter, yet cleaning the greasy bowls is a very time consuming nightmare. Should I wash them with COLD water or hot water, and etc?
Hot water and washing up liquid/detergent. Use either a dish cloth of a washing up brush. After washing rinse in hot water and stack to dry.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #7
Cook

Thank you all, yet it seemed to me that I had to keep load and reload a lot of dish washing liquid soap to clean the bowls, and not just more than a few rinses after washes
Old 05-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
So far no one has asked what your butter-making containers are made of. If they are plastic, it is more of a challenge to clean greasy stuff off plastic surface. You just have to keep scrubbing and applying dish washing soap as you go, if necessary. Otherwise, as others have mentioned, just hot soapy water and a cloth or brush should do the job.

Are we missing something?
Old 05-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I recycle plastic butter containers all the time. Really, no difference from hand washing a greasy pot using ordinary dishwashing detergent.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #10
Cook

Yep, my food processor container is plastic, which was much harder to clean than glass or ceramic bowls.

Tags
butter