"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2015, 06:09 AM   #1
Sous Chef
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 744
Wash mushrooms?

I've often read that you should not wash mushrooms, as they will absorb water. Brush off any dirt instead. I picked up a package of mushrooms from Trader Joe's, and the package states that the mushrooms should be washed before eating.

I asked Mr. Google, but there are still a lot of differing opinions. A number of sources state that if you give them a quick rinse, and not soak them, they won't absorb much water. Others are in the "do not wash" camp.

I've always wondered how the pre-sliced mushrooms are cleaned. I can't see how any commercial operation will take the time to brush mushrooms.

Any consensus on washing mushrooms? I've always brushed them, but wondering if I'm taking some risks by not washing them.


tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:22 AM   #2
Executive Chef
CraigC's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,701
I don't "wash" white buttons or criminis in the sense of putting them in a bowl of water. I lightly rinse them under running water. IMHO, they don't absorb any water.

Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:26 AM   #3
Senior Cook
puffin3's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Duncan
Posts: 482
Commercial mushroom growers attempt to sell their mushrooms as heavy as possible b/c they are selling by the pound.
This means harvesting the mushrooms and getting them to the distributor ASAP. The moisture content is critical. Fresh mushrooms contain all the water the mushroom can absorb. Therefore giving a commercial grown mushroom a rinse/light brushing to remove any 'culture' the mushroom was grown in does not allow the mushroom to absorb any more than a little surface moisture.
puffin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:53 AM   #4
Assistant Cook
TremontRhino's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 2
Alton Brown did a bit about this. He weighed 'shrooms before and after a quick rinse. Any water absorbed was negligible.
TremontRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:08 AM   #5
Head Chef
larry_stewart's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,057
What Jacques Pepin says, is that its not whether you should wash the mushrooms, but when you wash them.

He advises to wash them immediately before your going to use them.

If you wash them when you first get them, then store them, they get kinda smelly and slimy and decrease their fridge life if they don't dry properly.

My grandmother would spend hours peeling them prior to using them. God bless her, but it just wasn't worth it. But she was stuck in her ways, and thats the way her mother, grandmother .... did it.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:14 AM   #6
Executive Chef
Selkie's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,796
Rinse under running water while using a mushroom (soft) brush. Water absorption is nil!
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:43 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
Andy M.'s Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,089
Yup! Quick rinse under running water and pat dry with a paper towel. Store them in the fridge dirty in a paper bag and wash just before use.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:48 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 23,788
I'm a 'shroom rinser too.
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:30 PM   #9
Master Chef
Kayelle's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,746
It depends if there's anything on them. Most times there isn't and I don't bother.

I do have a cute soft mushroom brush however. It's also good on dusty lampshades.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:34 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
taxlady's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,806
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Originally Posted by TremontRhino View Post
Alton Brown did a bit about this. He weighed 'shrooms before and after a quick rinse. Any water absorbed was negligible.
I was also going to mention that. For me, it's a quick rinse and any necessary brushing.

May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.