"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-28-2015, 07:09 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Wash mushrooms?

I've often read that you should not wash mushrooms, as they will absorb water. Brush off any dirt instead. I picked up a package of mushrooms from Trader Joe's, and the package states that the mushrooms should be washed before eating.

I asked Mr. Google, but there are still a lot of differing opinions. A number of sources state that if you give them a quick rinse, and not soak them, they won't absorb much water. Others are in the "do not wash" camp.

I've always wondered how the pre-sliced mushrooms are cleaned. I can't see how any commercial operation will take the time to brush mushrooms.

Any consensus on washing mushrooms? I've always brushed them, but wondering if I'm taking some risks by not washing them.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:22 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I don't "wash" white buttons or criminis in the sense of putting them in a bowl of water. I lightly rinse them under running water. IMHO, they don't absorb any water.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Commercial mushroom growers attempt to sell their mushrooms as heavy as possible b/c they are selling by the pound.
This means harvesting the mushrooms and getting them to the distributor ASAP. The moisture content is critical. Fresh mushrooms contain all the water the mushroom can absorb. Therefore giving a commercial grown mushroom a rinse/light brushing to remove any 'culture' the mushroom was grown in does not allow the mushroom to absorb any more than a little surface moisture.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Alton Brown did a bit about this. He weighed 'shrooms before and after a quick rinse. Any water absorbed was negligible.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
Head Chef

What Jacques Pepin says, is that its not whether you should wash the mushrooms, but when you wash them.

He advises to wash them immediately before your going to use them.

If you wash them when you first get them, then store them, they get kinda smelly and slimy and decrease their fridge life if they don't dry properly.

My grandmother would spend hours peeling them prior to using them. God bless her, but it just wasn't worth it. But she was stuck in her ways, and thats the way her mother, grandmother .... did it.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:14 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Rinse under running water while using a mushroom (soft) brush. Water absorption is nil!
Old 06-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Yup! Quick rinse under running water and pat dry with a paper towel. Store them in the fridge dirty in a paper bag and wash just before use.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm a 'shroom rinser too.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:30 PM   #9
Master Chef

It depends if there's anything on them. Most times there isn't and I don't bother.

I do have a cute soft mushroom brush however. It's also good on dusty lampshades.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:34 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by TremontRhino View Post
Alton Brown did a bit about this. He weighed 'shrooms before and after a quick rinse. Any water absorbed was negligible.
I was also going to mention that. For me, it's a quick rinse and any necessary brushing.

Tags
mushrooms